Sony GDM-FW900

Hello all,

Recently, the Sony GDM-FW900 (a 24" 16:9 CRT) I purchased back in 2000 gave up the ghost. Given the use I've put it to these past few years, and a couple of abusive moves along the way, I can hardly claim that I didn't get my money's worth out of it, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to see if I can't wring just a little bit more.

While basically competent (though perhaps not by the standards of this group), I really don't know anything about monitor repair. I've read the sci.electronics.repair FAQ on the subject, which was very helpful but I've still got that "if you touch the inside of your monitor, you die" thing in the back of my head.

This is a really, really complicated monitor, so I was hoping that with some description, someone might point me in the right direction and narrow down the possibilities.

The history:

This is not the original monitor. It was replaced after about a year because my old one would occasionally make a popping sound. The new one, however, has always done the same thing, if less frequently (perhaps once a month). The popping sound (which sounds exactly like a knuckle cracking) is typically preceded by a period of increasing fuzziness which may last for just a second or as long as a couple of minutes. As soon as it pops, the crystal is razor sharp again (perhaps even sharper than it usually is, or perhaps that's just a brain trick).

The current problem originally manifested as an inability to wake up from "sleep" mode. Powering off and on wouldn't do anything, but unplugging everything and leaving it overnight would often cause it to make the "turning off" noises at some point hours later, after which it would work.

I was able to get around this problem for a month or so by simply leaving it on 24x7. Perhaps as a consequence, when the light of my life accidentally put it in sleep mode, it never came back.

The symptoms:

When you turn it on, there's a single really click, which is exactly as it has ever been. However, it no longer attempts to degauss.

With no input connected, the monitor comes on and goes to sleep. It looks like it's working. If you try anything to get a picture, it goes into the monitor's error mode, which is the power LED flashing orange. Not even the service manual (which I have) says what the flashes mean, it just has a copy of the owner's manual page; both say to "count the seconds between orange flashes of the power indicator and inform your authorized Sony dealer."

What I've tried:

My gut reaction is that something in there is slowly picking up a charge in a very naughty way. When it picks up enough charge, the resulting field is enough to defocus the electron beam. Since the precessing blur appears mostly uniform over the screen, my guess is it would need to be toward the back, near the neck of the CRT.

I don't know if the "popping" problem is at all related to the won't-display problem, but it's certainly a coincidence that the other problem also seems somehow related to a weird charge, given the way it would initially "discharge" and start working if left alone for a few hours.

Research suggests that this may be arcing from the flyback, but I bet that's a part that's too expensive / hard to replace to just "try it and see." Does anyone have any feel for how much these cost or how hard they are to replace? (I have rudimentary soldering skills / equipment.)

A more baseless guess is that this "extra charge" I've imagined up is somehow fooling part of the monitor into thinking it's already on, keeping it from waking up from sleep or powering on fresh.

I've disassembled it and checked for fuses or "obvious" fusable resistors with no luck.

I think the "missing degauss" when it starts up is suggestive of something as well, I'm just not sure what.

To reiterate, I've gotten my money out of this monitor. I've already ordered a replacement (though it's several weeks away). But if I can fix this to at least "sort of work" (particularly for the next several weeks ;-) ), I'd like to keep some lead out of the landfill for awhile longer. If I can find a fairly definitive fix that will put another year or two of life into it, I may be able to find a worthwhile organization to donate it to after the replacement arrives because it really is a great monitor and I'm sure somebody could use it.

While researching this problem I did quite a few Google searches, and there are a lot of people on this group who know an amazing amount about this stuff. All I'm hoping is that somebody can kick me in the right direction on this, so I can squeeze whatever might be left out of this guy. I should be able to provide any necessary information.

Thank you so much for any help/advice!

Jeff

--
Jeff Wheelhouse
jdw@wheelhouse.org

As long as the tube is still good (which assuming from the symptoms, it probably is), it might be worth the cost to get it fixed by a professional repair shop. Might not be as expensive as you think.

Also, just fyi, sleep mode is brutal on monitors (both CRTs and LCDs) and significantly reduces their lifespans. Stick with just a screen saver instead.

Reply to
Rick

What makes you say that? All modern monitors I've seen just turn themselves off when in sleep mode. It's no more stressful than pressing the power button. The worst thing you can do it run them

24/7. Sure, the total number of hours they last may be more, but that's meaningless when most of those hours are wasted. Just don't set it to go to sleep after such a short time that it's constantly being turned off and on all day. Also, think about all the power wasted by millions of monitors displaying flying toasters for 16 hours a day. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

That's more or less incorrect, depending on the device. Running sleep mode on an LCD monitor, for example will cut its backlight lifespan by up to half. Spin down for hard drives -- about the same. It's less of an issue for CRTs, but still an issue. All components are stressed at power up

-- IC's, capacitors etc.

Obviously it depends on how long one goes between uses of a device. If it's usually less than a few hours I recommend not using sleep mode.

Reply to
Rick

I too have a similar, if not the same, problem.

It looks like there may be some tips at the EURAS site. Does anyone have a subscription to this service who could post the tips listed here:

Many thanks,

Brian

JDW wrote:

Reply to