Sony CD/Radio wont's stay turned on...

Hi - I have an old-but-very-good-condition SOny CFD-44 rado/CD/Casstte play er - been reliable for many years... Extremely well made unit - do NOT want to scrap it unless forced :)

Recently, every so often it won't stay turned-on - when it's off, you press the power button and the red power LED comes on for maybe 0.5 seconds - a very small "pop" from the loudspeakers, and it then turns off - normally, a light press on the power button and it stays on fine - the power button is a momentary-press push-button, not a latching switch, so its not that.

When its fine (90% of the time) it's an excellend radio cassette...

Bit puzzled as to where to go next...

Thanks

Reply to
Nick de Smith

electolytic caps on the B+

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Checked the main reservoir caps - 6800uF @ 25V - ESR was 0R2 @ 100Hz, seems pretty much ok...

Nick

Reply to
Nick de Smith

sounds like a cap reforming..

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

** That figure would be the cap's impedance at 100Hz.

The ESR value is much lower, maybe 0.02 ohms.

Most ESR testers use a frequency between 20kHz and 100kHz, where the impedance and ESR values are near the same.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Nope. Bad connection somewhere. Solder connection, problem with a connector, etc.

Mark Z.

Reply to
NewsDemon

Nope. Bad connection somewhere. Solder connection, problem with a connector, etc.

Mark Z.

Reply to
NewsDemon

Nope. Bad connection somewhere. Solder connection, problem with a connector, etc.

Mark Z.

Reply to
NewsDemon

Sorry for multiple postings. Problem with new server.

mz

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

ayer - been reliable for many years... Extremely well made unit - do NOT wa nt to scrap it unless forced :)

ss the power button and the red power LED comes on for maybe 0.5 seconds - a very small "pop" from the loudspeakers, and it then turns off - normally, a light press on the power button and it stays on fine - the power button is a momentary-press push-button, not a latching switch, so its not that.

First, the disclaimer: I am not familiar with that unit.

Now the two alternate diagnoses: a) If a capacitance-start (solid-state contact-start switch), replace the c apacitors as already noted. It might not be a bad idea in any case. And don 't stop with the main filters, look to any caps in the starting circuit. Su ch switches may also operate a small reed relay or solid-state relay. If a reed relay, it may be worn out and not holding. If an SS relay, see caps, a bove and elsewhere.

b) If a mechanical switch, look for dirty contacts, a slipped or worn-throu gh contact or similar. Can you jumper the switch and have it operate normal ly?

As I remember, and, for the record, that little pacific-rim audio equipment that I own is all Sony or Yamaha, Sony does like solid-state switches as t hey are much easier to manage with remote control, so I expect that this wi ll devolve to a capacitor problem.

Best of luck with it.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw