Sony Bravia xbr-55x850c six red flashes but then sometimes re-starts?

This thread comes fresh from alt.home.repair where i was looking for a stand suggestion.

Someone gave me this tv and i pugged it in to test. Suddenly after four days of (the screen) working properly, I connected to cable and the TV cuts out, gives the 6 blinks repeatedly.

But then it turns on again as if everything is normal? And the 6 blinks dont happen (as described on various videos) after the partial or whole-screen shutdown which is the problem when the backlight LED is dying.

Is this 6 red flashes the generalised error message when the TV is in its death throes?

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazov

6 blinks usually indicate a problem with the backlight. Check for a marginal strip or LED or the power supply section associated with the LEDs.

Dan

Reply to
abrsvc

Yes, thanks, that's what I am finding: This morning I was watching it when it went out and the left third of the screen DID go a lot darker before the whole screen died a few seconds later

So something IS causing that backlight to malfunction.

Reply to
Amanda Riphnykhazova

This model generally doesn't have any problems with its backlighting (despite what the error code may say), but the main boards are junk. The Sony Android TVs of this era usually have the main board start getting glitchy, then wonky, then they end up dead.

There are two large BGAs on these boards and they both need to be reballed (a reflow may buy you time but it's not permanent). A used or "recertified" board will also buy you time, but working Sony Android boards are expensive and not worth the short time they have left.

When I take any of these on trade they get recycled without exception.

Reply to
ohg...