Sony Beta VCR Idler Problems

I recently bought a bunch of old Beta VCRs, hoping to fix them for resale. Most are Sony's, and the first one I put on the bench was an SL-2300. The problem is that it's eating tapes; the takeup reel will not turn during playback, but it works fine during fast forward or rewind. These units use a flat servo motor (similar to the capstan motor) for the tape drive, and it soon became obvious that the motor was the source of the problem -the flywheel was dragging against one of the windings during a certain point of each rotation. I tried swapping the tape drive unit with one from another SL-2300, only to discover it had the exact same problem. So I tried putting several plastic spacers underneath the flywheel, to raise it just enough to avoid scraping the windings underneath. It solved the dragging problem, but with the flywheel magnet further from the windings, the motor no longer has enough torque to turn the tape. Is there any way of increasing the speed/torque of this motor? This appears to be a common problem on these units and it would be great to figure out a viable way to repair them, since replacement is out of the question. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Chris F.

chances are that these units have too many hours on them already, if this sort of problem has arisen. Thus it follows that the heads are probably also on the way out, or soon will be. I wouldn't waste much time on them..... B