SN 74S196

I'm looking for four / five of these prehistoric reptiles from the ttl-epoch : SN 74S196.

Google seems no offer to me other chances than ask here.

Thanks.

Massimo

Reply to
Massimo Corinaldesi

"Massimo Corinaldesi" wrote in message news:hjs1an$2drd$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader2.mclink.it...

I looked through my ancient TTL assortment and found two

74S196 and a single 74LS196BN. These were new and you can have them if that would be helpful.

David

Reply to
David

Il 28/01/2010 16.21, David ha scritto:

Great ! Only the two 74S196, please. I want rembourse you for any expences you encounter to ship them here, in Italy. I can use paypal or international bank transfer. let me know and many thanks.

Massimo

Reply to
Massimo Corinaldesi

Unicorn Electronics

has both parts in stock. Caveats: Unicorn is a US company, so shipping might be high. They also have a $25 USD minimum order.

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

In article , Massimo Corinaldesi writes

Try looking for a 74LS196. Whether it works depends on your circuit - does it go to some form of external connector with a long wired connection to its destination?

I have a feeling that it's some form of line driver which has blown in the recent bad weather (it's got a very long connection to a terminal, printer etc. and has picked up some form of line noise from e.g. a storm which has blown it.)

Other examples are LM26LS30, SN75159, possibly LM319. Not drop-in replacements!

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)  Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Ebay # 380175062394

Based in the UK, worldwide shipping.

JC

Reply to
Archon

No, it's a presettable decade counter, seen in many frequency counters in the old days because it was faster than the other counters in the 74XX series. The straight 74196 was supposed to be good up to 50MHz, which was better than the 15 or 20 MHz of the 7490 that was common in such things. A lot of counters used the 74196 for the decade counter of the least significant digit, which well improved the range of the counter; the output was then low enough (since the input frequency was divided by ten) that all the rest of the counter could be "normal" 74XX.

The LS was supposed to be good to 30MHz, the S good to 100MHz.

What might replace it would depend on what it's being used for, some of the "more recent" 74XX series, at least in the faster logic families, are likely as fast or faster, and perhaps easier to find, though that depends on whether the circuit can be adapted.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

I would look for either the 74ALS196 or 74F196, I don't know if they exists at all and are obtainable, but those logic families are TTL and usually faster than LS and S families. Of course if there's really need for the a faster unit than the LS one.

Best regards

Frank IZ8DWF

Reply to
frank

Hello!

A ten year old color TV set of mine with vacuum picture tube has recently lost its horizontal synchronization: the display shows the corresponding diagonal stripes, slanting from left to right. Vertical synchronization is functional however.

The entire video processing of the set is done by a Micronas VDP3116B processor in a 64-pin shrink-DIP package. I have checked those external voltages and signals that appear to be vital for its proper operation, and they all looked ok. The only symptom of misbehavior is that, with a video test signal with a synch-to-synch pulse distance of 63.9 us fed into the VDP default video input pin 63 (VIN3), the output signal on pin

50 (HOUT) shows the shorter period is 63.1 us, where a duty cycle of 50% moreover confirms the lack of synchronization, according to the VDP datasheet. The synch signal output on the unused pin 7 (FSY) has the wrong period of 63.1 us too, but here the duty cycle is around 7%, which looks ok.

The VDP3116B is configured by the control processor (an ST92R195) of the TV set via an I2C-bus interface; disconnecting the interface lines and using a hardware reset on the VDP3116B didn't restore horizontal synchronization (I believe the VDP default parameters should suffice for synch extraction). Nor did a replacement of the VDP3116B chip restore horizontal synchronization!

A wiring diagram of a closely related TV model is available at , almost everything of significance here is in agreement with my board). A 1998 version of the VDP3116B datasheet can be found at .

Any suggestions? How can a working Micronas VDP3116B loose its ability to extract the horizontal synchronization of the input video signal?

Martin.

Reply to
clicliclic