Shut down LCD projector or let run?

I just recieved an Hitachi CP-s230 LCD projector to use in my classroom.

I use it all day but there are periods during the day when it is idle.

My question is: Does restarting the lamp put wear on the over all life of the lamp. Someone told me "striking" or firing up the lamp was the equivilant of X hours of projection.

Is that true? Would it be better for me to leave the projector projecting through my lunch break for example?

Thanks.

Reply to
jim

It is difficult to know the proper balance of having the lamp on or off. It is both the start-up and shutdown of the lamp that reduce its lifespan. At the same time, the lamp will wear from general use.

In any-case, these projector lamps generally don't last very long. You should be prepared with a number of spares.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

Looks like I just can't win then.

Thanks for the reply

Jim

Reply to
jim

What do you mean by "don't last very long?"

I have lots of clients out there with thousands of hours on their lamps. It depends greatly on the specific lamp and its application in a given unit.

In gerneral, I tell people that if they are going to be away for more than a few hours, turn it off. Less than two hours leave it on. The best answer is that it is hard to tell, but likely somewhere between 1 and 4 hours is probably best, but it is largely guessing.

Minimize starts and overal lamp time and keep the filters clean if there are any, and have a spare if you don't want to wait for a replacement. If you buy a spare, be sure to run it for the 90 days it will be warranted to make sure it is a good one.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet