opinions on $300 XGA projector?

To save a few $, I am considering building a homemade XGA projector system using an overhead projector and an LCD monitor. Details are here:

My purpose would be to use it in a high school classroom, for ppt presentations and the like. Since the total cost would still be around $300, I am curious as to how well/ how poorly this device would work. Unfortunately, my budget limits me to such a possibility, which is great if it works, but I just want to be sure before I spend the dollars. Any advice, tips, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kris

Reply to
Kris Petro

I looke at some of these DIY projectors some time ago, just out of interest, and what the seem to miss out in the spec is that you apparently Really Need a Dark Room (TM) bad fitting blinds on the windoze will ruin the presentation.

Sorry, No URLS are left in my thing that keeps my URLs

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Overhead projector LCD displays used to be pretty common. One thing you

*must* do is manage the temperature the device is exposed to. The worsth thing about those old contraptions was their marginal lifetime because of the thermal degredation. How many times do you want to replace the LCD each year?
Reply to
John_H

Ideally, the polarisers on a colour LCD will absorb 1/2 the incoming light, and 2/3 will get blocked by hitting the wrong colour of pixel.

Or 1/6th of the icoming light will get through. And that's optimal, it's never going to be that good.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I suspect that's why, even though the article starst with a "3500 ANSI lumens" over-head projector, the end result isn't as bright as a commercial video projector of equal ratings, and they end up neeidng a darkish room.

Hmm... no wonder the lesser-priced micro-mirror based projectors use color wheels!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad