Selenium Rectifier / Metal Rectifier queries

Their downside for meter use is low bandwidth. Fine for a 50 / 60 Hz electrician's testmeter, useless for audio. Often way off at 400 Hz.

Regards,

David P.

Reply to
David Powell

Yep! Dwight

Reply to
dkelvey

I thought the rectifiers used in the old VU meters, as well as various telephony applications, were Copper Oxide? If Copper Oxide doesn't work in audio frequency applications what sort of rectifier stacks were used in these audio applications?

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at,  http://fmamradios.com/
Reply to
John Byrns

Dunno about old VU meters, but my guess is that they're rather different to the meters and battery chargers that were the topic, in that there will be amplification in the system. Given that, whatever the response curve of the widget is, it can be linearized as necessary with appropriate filters. My comment described a characteristic of the nekkid rectifier.

It's not that they don't work at audio, just that they will only be accurate over a very restricted frequency range. Not that I've a high opinion on VU meters as used in typical consumer electronics, unlikely to even equal the accuracy of my car's fuel tank contents gauge. Might as well wire a filament lamp across the speakers and measure with a light meter.

Regards,

David P.

Reply to
David Powell

Big plates like in battery chargers = big capacitance = poor audio response. Very small plates like in meters = small capacitance = good audio response.

David

Reply to
David

I'll buy that.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at,  http://fmamradios.com/
Reply to
John Byrns

The copper oxide meter rectifiers I have seen are about 3/16" in diameter. The one in the battery charger I have is about 2" X 4".

--
Jim Mueller wrongname@nospam.com

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail.  Lastly, replace com with us.
Reply to
Jim Mueller