Scooter Soldering Kit Battery

Actually I doubt the plumbers flux I use is acid.

UK building regulations are also affected by the dreaded RoHS so things like corrosive fluxes aren't allowed any more. It was some years ago that building suppliers stopped stocking Fry Fluxite (zinc chloride) I still find uses for this flux in certain jobs and finally found a power tool supplier that could order it..

Reply to
ian field

I think Tarn-X is a good idea. I've never thought to use it. I hate working on wire in this condition, but sometimes you have to. So next time I'll try the tarn-x and see if it works.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

On 2/16/2009 8:55 AM ian field spake thus:

So you actually don't know what is or isn't in it. (I don't either.) Might be worthwhile rooting around to try to find its contents (either online, in a MSDS or from a supplier). My guess is that it is, in fact, an acid flux.

I think you misunderstand RoHS and other regs; they don't seek to ban anything corrosive, just regulate substances that are hazardous. I seriously doubt that acid fluxes have been banned outright, or that they ever will.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Fine-grade sandpaper, or scraping, are also good alternatives... mechanical removal of the oxidation/corrosion works well in many cases.

I've even learned to give the leads of resistors and capacitors a quick scrape with the blade of a pair of diagonal cutters, before soldering them to a PC board or to other component leads when doing "ugly" construction. Few things are easier to solder than just-scraped copper/tin/lead.

Dave Platt

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

back when TEK tube scopes were common,I used to use Tarn-X in a spray bottle to clean the silver switch contacts,then wash the entire scope,then

3 days in the drying oven.It saved having to replace some complex switch assemblies.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Capillary action will pull acid up the insulation when heated and down the road the joint will fail.

46 years of soldering and still learning new "Tricks".
Reply to
Paul aka Sporty

How so?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com    http://www.petersphotos.com

Many of the world's greatest runners come from Kenya because they have a unique training program there -- it's called a lion.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Next time you two clowns have a thought, just let it go, m'kay?

Reply to
.

Next time you two clowns have a thought, just let it go, m'kay?

PHucker is a well known troll who bullshits in groups on topics he knows absolutely nothing about - he's already been laughed out of all the sci.electronics groups for spouting BS to guys who design chips and aerospace gear - his "home haunt" is alt.binaries.chatter .

Reply to
ian field

He's busy making a fool of himself in a thread crossposted to the news:rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup, too.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Michael A. Terrell

He and Krusty are well suited as a team, then.

-- BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Honda CB400F SH50 If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. Workshop manual? Buy one instead of asking where the free PDFs are chateau dot murray at idnet dot com

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

Only on cold days...cold being UNDER 35F. Well that's my definition, what would I know I've installed AC compressor units when it was 25F. Getting the torch lit was the hardest part as the winds were a good bit over 25mph that day. 8^(

Electric soldering irons shouldn't be bothered on windy days unless it's damn cold.

-- Temperature controlled soldering irons should cope unless its *BLOODY* cold, the cheaper ones with no thermostat are regulated (of sorts) by a positive temperature coefficient in the resistance wire the element is wound with. As the element heats up it's resistance increases so the current draw levels off, conversely if its cooled the resistance reduces increasing the current draw.

Reply to
ian field