Sam's eBay Horror Story #1

Did you ever use that old six pin Amphenol connector I sent you?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Especially if you can't find your asbestos long johns.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's wired up. Have I actually put electrons through it yet? Not yet. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

My friends wonder why I REFUSE to deal with E-Bay and it's TRIPE!!! To many stories like this indicative that E-Bay does not completely study their User's base and use proper security processes to safely honor those in good standing. IMHO

E-bay does not, in my opinion and very limited experience with, deserve a place in my computer systems (multiple)! AJ_Esq

Reply to
Art

Ebay doesn't address you by your ebay name, but by your given name. I think you've been Phished. Sign onto ebay, and immediately change your password. I get these emails all the time, and report them as spam.

Reply to
John-Del

Ebay doesn't address you by your ebay name, but by your given name. I think you've been Phished. Sign onto ebay, and immediately change your password. I get these emails all the time, and report them as spam.

Reply to
John-Del

You may soon have another way to contact and possibly yell at eBay. They just sent me an "invitation" email annoucing:

=========================================== Coming June 16: eBay Phone Support =========================================== * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * We don't give our number to just anyone (except you) * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Get access to eBay Phone Support:

Only invited members like you will be able to call our new number. To access this faster service, you'll need to set up a PIN in My eBay. Also be sure to add your current phone number to your profile.

Then, you'll be all set to go on June 16.

For some unknown reason, I guess it's a big secret. If you didn't get an "invitation" I guess you're on eBay black list. My guess(tm) is that I'll end up talking to a humanoid robot, reading from a script, and talking in boilerplate. Kinda like a verbal version of your email exchange with eBay support.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The Ebay/Paypal combo is invested with too much power. I bought was two eight-foot lengths of aluminum channel. Instead, I received four four-foot lengths. EPal, in their wisdom declared that the purchase was substantially as advertised. That would be the equivalent, for my purposes, to ordering a two inch laser rod and getting two one-inch rods, or a two-carat diamond and getting two one-carat diamonds.

As far as I can tell, there is no practical avenue of appeal. Fortunately not much money was involved. As a consequence I have bought little off of Ebay since.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

I got that same email. I assumed it was another fraud scheme and erased it. I only respond to ebay messages which come up on "my ebay" after I've logged in to ebay. I NEVER to messages sent by email if they have any "click buttons" to redirect or download information. Anyone can send email and make it look like it came from any URL by name or IP number. Yes, ebay security sucks, but it's probably no worse than shopping at the average mall. You can get pickpocketed there too. That said I only buy on ebay and have over 1000 transaction. So far I've saved a lot more than I lost on a few bum deals. I the seller says "untested" or "as is" you can be sure equipment is junk.

Reply to
Louis Boyd

Hi Sam,

Well I have gotten a lot of those my self however I don't have an Ebay account (LOL) I am afraid that you have gotten caught by the Ebay Proxy letter. It is sent with the intent to be able to intercept your PayPal username and password that gives the sender the chance to empty your account....

You should change your password right now!!! but other wise ignore it as Ebay did not send it. I could tell you for sure if I had a copy of your letter ( The first one ).

I have to ask this one Sam as I need some parts can we chat???

--
Thanks,
Timelord

So, eBay is calling you "just anyone", right? What marketing clown came up with that prose?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Assumption, the mother of all screwups.

It's apparently for real. I verified that the email header looked correct. I checked that the URL pointed to ebay.com and not somewhere else. There was also a copy of the message in my eBay Message mailbox. Good enough for me.

I read the instructions and manually went to My Account to register the PIN number. Unless I totally screwed up, the procedure looked correct. However, I'll have to wait 8 days to see if it works. So far, eBay has not sent me a telephone number to use. I can't wait to unload my frustrations on whomever will answer and pretend to listen.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Read the line again. They *DONT* give the number to "just anyone". Therefore, since they *DID* give (or plan to eventually give) me the number, I must *NOT* be "just anyone". You misread the statement.

On the other foot, by implication, I might be "just no one" or "just everyone" but I won't ponder the implications, much.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Actually, I've had rather good experience with "untested" and "as-is".

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Has anyone actually read what I wrote in the linked page? :)

Every email I received from eBay was also present in "My Messages" on "My eBay". And my account had indeed been suspended *before* I contacted eBay about this mess.

Now is it possible I replied to some email awhile ago that triggered this? I suppose it's possible, but highly unlikely.

This was not a phishing scheme, at least not one from outside eBay.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Contact me.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

[snip]

There is no cost to changing one's password, so I would just do it.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Same here. If I want one of something old, I'll usually buy three of them for parts. For example:

There are 3ea Wavetek/SSI 3000B service monitors and 3ea HP 8620A sweepers. Similarly, I also have 3 almost identical frequency counters, RF generators, and assorted oscilloscopes. I find it better to have the spare parts than to have one "tested and calibrated" overpriced piece of test equipment. My guess is that I've bought about 150 assorted pieces of test equipment on eBay over the years. Perhaps 3-5 were not quite what the vendor was advertising. I had one complex hassle when an allegedly working frequency counter arrived displaying error messages. I really wanted it, so I just downloaded the manual and fixed it myself.

However, as-is and untested is not for everyone. I actually enjoy fixing things which makes such purchases practical. For example, all

3 of the HP 8620 sweep generators came with very sticky controls and knobs. The grease had dried out in the controls and was adding considerable friction. I tore the front panel apart, lubed everything, and all the knobs now move like new. If one can't do simple repairs like that, as-is and untested is not a good idea.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Yes, I did read your post, And yes it is a phishing scheme, and yes it is caused by one of your own sellers that did it!!! I have bin on the wrong end of this one before ( 2001-2003 ). its very complicated I can explain this one to you ( not in a news group )

--
Thanks,
Timelord
Charlie\'s Place BBS, Newsgroups - Games - Files - Gifs
--- Synchronet 3.14a-Win32 NewsLink 2.03
Charlie\'s Place BBS - http://cpbbs.synchro.net:8080 -
telnet://cpbbs.synchro.net.16:8023 - ftp://cpbbs.synchro.net:8021/00index.html
Reply to
Timelord

Droids are everywhere now. I get phoney bank e-mails all the time, and they always start "Dear custooma" or some such mis-spelled nonsense, and the address that they come from, and have as the reply link, is always a corruption of the bank's 'real' primary domain. However, a couple of months back, I received a phishing mail which had, as the first part of the sending and reply address, the genuine bank's URL.

I mailed the real bank customer service department to inform them that someone had managed to hijack their primary domain. I went to a lot of trouble to point out that this was not your usual phishing mail, and was likely to fool customers who were not *really* paying attention. Back came a reply saying that what I had experienced was a spoof mail that was really a phishing exercise and I should not respond to it yada yada yada in full blown kiddie talk. I replied, and suggested that they were not understanding what I was saying, and that this was not your standard spoof mail, and that somehow, someone had managed to gain access to their server. I further suggested that they should pass this up the chain to someone who better understood the implications.

Suddenly, last week, I get a form letter from the bank, detailing exactly what I had told them, and telling not to respond to any such mails in any way. If the droids had listened to me in the first place, they could have got on the case two months ago.

Still, it just goes to show that hackers can get into these systems, no matter how high the security level, and potentially wreak havoc. Good luck at getting it resolved.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily