S-video cables

Hi... I'm planning to build a few custom-length S-video cables. I can locate the mini-din plugs, but don't know what type of cable to look for. Parts sources I looked at don't seem to have an "s-video" cable category. Any advice? Thanks.

Reply to
Ken_B

Isn't the connector the same thing that is used on a Macintosh ADB cable? I think it's called a mini-DIN 8.

Reply to
Beloved Leader

Your best bet will be to buy some standard cables that are too long, and chop off the part you don't need.

If you can find one twice as long (or more), that'll save a little money.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

The only critical thing is for the cables to have an impedance of 75 ohms. You also need to find cables thin enough to fit in a mini-din plug.

Making your own cables is a good way to be sure you've got good quality cables without paying far more than they're worth. Most of the cheap S-video cables I've cut open were made using regular stranded wires, no coax, not even twisted pairs. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

I tend to take a PS/2 lead or extension lead and use that. They are slightly different but fit perfectly well. You have to snap the black tab of the existing s-video lead if you're using a PS/2 extension with it.

Reply to
carl0s

I'm pretty sure the ones I've got are cheap like that. And too long. I'm connecting some equipment sitting less that a foot apart, and my cables are all about 6'. So how do I find 4-conductor 75-ohm cable? And you say the cable should have twisted pairs?

Reply to
Ken_B

Yes, it is, but it's only got 4 pins, so it's a mini-DIN 4. The 8 pin was used by Apple for serial ports.

Isaac

Reply to
isw