rubber rejuv?

I have worked on Printer repairs for more years than I care to count, and there are 3 treatments we use in Australia.

The best is Hurst #7 roller cleaner, used widely in the printing business, but we get it in 25 litre cans, lasts years for a team of techs.

This is a local supplier, but it is obviously available where Printing machines are used. When we first got it, it was from a local Printing shop, when it was proved, went to the source.

Next is CO Cleaner, comes in spray cans, and is very good at deglazing rollers, doesn't smell like #7, is very volatile, you must be quick.

Last is Isopropyl Alcohol, Methylated Spirits will do, the least volatile, and least effective, but does work to some extent.

Hurst #7 comes with a warning, is a cancer suspect, should not be used in a closed room, but is very effective. CO Cleaner will be readily available worldwide, and is much less of a risk.

If a pickup roller is worn, it will be seen after cleaning, and must be replaced, or constant cleaning will be necessary.

Reply to
Lionel Johnson

They're two different things. First you have your "rubber cleaner", which as you say is all nasty solvents, to get off the greasy ink and grime. That workd just swell.

But in getting out the grease, the solvents also leach out the "plasticisers" out of the rubber. They're the additives that make the rubber soft and pliable. You lose those and the rubber gets too hard.

The oil of xxx things are "rubber rejuvenators".... a poor man's plasticizer. These soften up the rubber back to its original condition.

Both have their uses. After you use the first ones a lot, you probably will need the second ones.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

"Ancient_Hacker" bravely wrote to "All" (28 Jan 06 18:03:07) --- on the heady topic of "Re: rubber rejuv?"

An> From: "Ancient_Hacker" An> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:356783

An> They're two different things. First you have your "rubber cleaner", An> which as you say is all nasty solvents, to get off the greasy ink and An> grime. That workd just swell.

An> But in getting out the grease, the solvents also leach out the An> "plasticisers" out of the rubber. They're the additives that make the An> rubber soft and pliable. You lose those and the rubber gets too hard.

An> The oil of xxx things are "rubber rejuvenators".... a poor man's An> plasticizer. These soften up the rubber back to its original An> condition.

An> Both have their uses. After you use the first ones a lot, you An> probably will need the second ones.

Just a reminder than some oils will soften and make rubber expand. Many car owners who have their cars anti-corrosion protected for winter by hot oil spraying the frame and door interiors, find their engine hood rubber seal band softening and falling off. (Besides dripping the sprayed oil on the road for a couple of weeks).

A*s*i*m*o*v

... "Bother!" said Pooh, as he saw the sparks and smelled the smoke.

Reply to
Asimov