TIP: Silicone rubber flat drive bands

Came across a useful resource, extending the silicone fold "flat" collapsible funnels, source of preformed rubber. Similar items , going up in size available in camping shops XMUG and XBOWL badged "Sea to Summit" Perth Australia

The mug one 75mm to 105mm diameter, 7 bands available up to 8mm wide. At 1.8mm thick need splitting to .9mm so one good face and one usable in many circumstances. So 14 bands or 28 if split widthwise.

4 of the 7 are regular flat , 3 are on the slope but uually usable I've found. Not had any such useages return to me so I assume they have not broken in use The bowls I saw have a reduced range of sizes 3 up to 150mm and 5 up to 220mm diameter
Reply to
N_Cook

Don't expect to have a clean external edge to the largest band. Someone knows how to bond silicone rubber to plastic. Applying heat and/or peeling action will only result in ripping the silicone. I would like to know what the chemical/process that does that. At least the cup-size marks are easy to grind off the internal surface

Reply to
N_Cook

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 15:33:16 +0100, N_Cook wrote as underneath :

Nice one! Cost of cup seems to range approx £9 -12 in UK C+

Reply to
Charlie+

The funnels are much cheaper and fuller range, but smaller maximum diameter. The bowls are about twice the price and not much silicone bandery At the moment sousing the rim band in 3 different solventy type chemicals trying to find something that will break the bond

Reply to
N_Cook

Tried petrol, nail varnish remover and methyl chloride paint stripper over a day, on different parts of the rim. With a plectrum , could separate the bit soused in paint stripper. Came away clean enough but quite a bit of shear force required, perhaps longer or kept at an elevated temp

Reply to
N_Cook