RS232 Cable adaptor for pc?

i have laptop sony viao and i wonder is there any adaptor for rs232 cable to connect laptop.

Reply to
yakupkutlutr

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 08:25:26 -0800, yakupkutlutr Has Frothed:

USB to RS232? Yes.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

:On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 08:25:26 -0800, yakupkutlutr Has Frothed: : :> i have laptop sony viao and i wonder is there any adaptor for rs232 :> cable to connect laptop. : :USB to RS232? Yes.

I have one currently. I bought a cheap one at a computer show and spent upwards of 12 hours trying to get it to work. I brought it back to the vendor at the next computer show and complained that it wasn't working for me. They said I could exchange it for other equipment, but no refund. So, I upgraded to another one they sold for a couple of bucks more. This one worked. I was using it to run an external serial modem on a PC. At first it worked but I had issues from time to time. Finally, I couldn't get it to work at all on my Windows 2000 system. Maybe (probably) I could have resolved the problem somehow but I took the easy way out and sacrificed one of my PCI slots, removing my firewire card to my second (seldom used) system, and put my USR hardware PCI modem in my main box, problem solved.

Point is, those adaptors may or may not work. I've seen many for sale for all kinds of prices. I think they all come with their own drivers, or some do at least. I suspect that some work better for some devices than others and in some systems than others and some OS's than others.

I may soon have a laptop and am hoping I can use a serial device with the one I have, but am not holding my breath. The laptop I'm contemplating has no onboard serial capability without buying their proprietary adapter, but I'm not forking over the $50 or whatever just to make sure.

I imagine that Sony will sell you an adapter they will stand behind, if you care to go that way.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (known to some as snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) scribed...

The best possible way to do this, assuming the laptop has no hardware-based serial port of its own, is to use a PCMCIA/Cardbus serial card. You can often find such on Ebay. I got a dual-port for about $35.00 or so.

Happy hunting.

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

Reply to
yakupkutlutr