RS232 cable followup

Thanks again to those who responded to my RS232 cable question. This morning I soldered on the DB connectors and did a test of the cable. There were no problems. I fact, though this is really subjective, the program seemed to download faster than it did with the older, shorter, spliced cable. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Seemed like you'd have been fine and wouldn't need to go to any extreme measures. Good to hear it's working good!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com Inscribed thus:

The splices will cause impedence discontinuities in the cable which can cause data retries. In turn that will slow things down.

--
Best Regards:
                        Baron.

The best thing is that I recieved answers here that made me optimistic about success. This is the major reason I like Usenet. Folks offering information while expecting nothing in return and only wanting to know if their advice helped. Cheers, Eric

Reply to
etpm

In RS232? With risetimes in the microseconds? No, by a factor of 1000 or so.

Besides, most RS232 links don't have provision for data chacking and retry.