Computer with PS2 only to connect to RS232 DB9 device?

Hello,

I was wondering if someone knows how to do this. There are adapters from PS2>DB9 normally intended for mice, but I have a reverse situation:

I need to connect a RS232 device (specialized digital modem) to a laptop only equipped with PS2 port.

Normally the modem would use its proprietary software which uses COM1 on normally present DB9 on the PC and everything works.

However in this case there is no DB9 on my laptop. QQ:

  1. Is there a way to buil some kind of adaptor to translate computer PS2 port to RS232 DB9?

  1. If 1st is positive- can I then define the PS2 in this laptop to act as COM1 and communicate via this adapter with external RS232 device?

Thanks for any clues, Regards M

Reply to
Michal

If it's a new laptop it should have a USB port. The Rat Shack sells USB to RS-232 adapters that seem to work just fine.

If the USB to RS-232 adapter doesn't work then see if you can find a UART on a PCMCIA card.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Hi Tim

Thanks , this was my thought too.

However- the whole situati> Michal wrote:

Reply to
Michal

This definitely not an option. The voltage levels, sync methods, and protocolsn don't match. Perhaps that fellow in the movie who was able to hack into a UFO with a Macintosh could do this, but your friend on the boat needs to get a USP to RS232 adapter.

It is never correct to post something to sci.electronics.design and sci.electronics.misc. *.misc groups are for things that don't fit in any of the other groups.

--
Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire.
Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you