REQ: Sony GDM-FW900

Andy: i have the same monitior with similar problem, though with mine, the moditor is not kicking on. Let me explain the condition. With NO signal attached, the Power LED is Green. Once a signal is present, the Monitior just dosent kick in, & the LED flashes yellow. It has also been progressivly getting Brighter as time goes on.

Anyone with any tips on this would appreciate it.

Reply to
<someone

moditor is not kicking on.

yellow.

Does it display the "monitor is working" message on screen when there's no signal? Is there any HV? Have you checked the power supply voltages? The output voltages are labeled on the power supply, so you can easily check those without a schematic.

Normally when a Sony monitor shuts down it's because of a power supply failure, deflection failure, or HV failure.

The getting brighter problem should be fixed by running image restoration in the color menu. Both of mine were too bright when I got them, but are perfect after image restoration. I've seen Sony monitors that were so bright, they were completely unusable, but image restoration fixed them in 10 seconds.

Just last week I was in a Kinkos and noticed a 21" Sony/Dell at a customer PC station that was so bright that the screen was full of retrace lines. After 3 button presses it looked like a new monitor. I'm sure they didn't care, but it kept another monitor out of the land fill for a little longer.

E-mail me if you want the service manual. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe