Replacing car speakers

Hi all...

I have a 10-year-old Grand Prix with two 6x9 rear speakers which are bad. I also have a nice pair of Jensen tri-axial 6x9 speakers (model J310TX) which have been stored away for several years just waiting to be needed. I don't know how old they are but probably from the '80s.

However the original Pontiac speakers have two coils and two sets of wiring, one of which is for sub-woofer control, according to my service manual.

So what should I do about that extra wiring when I install the Jensens, which have only one connector?

I am also concerned about the impedance. The ones in the car are marked

4-ohms, but the Jensens aren't marked and I can't find anything about them on the internet. The only markings other that the name and model are "160 Watts Peak Power", "60 Watts Continuous Power" and "92db Sensitivity". If I measure dc resistance I get around 35 ohms, if that's a clue

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
Ken_B

PS: On closer inspection (by curling upside down in the trunk!) there are two impedance ratings: 4-ohm and 10-ohm.

Reply to
Ken_B

Hi Probally the easiest thing to do is to find a set of the orginal speakers at a junk yard, then it would be plug and play that simple. But if your adventureous you can try hooking up a junk speaker to the wires and see what they sound like. Since you say the speaker has 2 diffrent OHM ratings these are probally BI-amped speakers. The sub wires are probally crossed over for LF and the others are HF. If your any kind of an audiophile you probally won't be happy from the sound from either set of wires as one set will be laking HF and the other will be laking LF. IF this is how your system is set up you could invest in another set of bi-ampable speakers but you'd probally be cheaper to just go to the junk yard. But I'm guessing on how your system is set up, I may be wrong. Hope this helps.

Regards, Chance

Reply to
Chance

Or hook the Jensons to the 'high' side, and hook the 'low' side to a sub box....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

These are dual coil speakers for having the proper response over the frequency spectrum. You should get the originals if you want to have the original sound quality. This way, you will be sure that the impedance match is correct for the radio. Using an ohm meter will not show you the impedance.

--

JANA _____

[...]

JANA

Here's a picture of the speaker in question:

Ken_B

Reply to
Ken_B

Uh...a box with subwoofers (8" to 15" low frequency speakers) inside...very common. You can put them in the trunk to produce the 'Whump!, Whump!' you often hear coming from the car in the next lane at the stoplight...or you can actually install them where they'll reproduce the low frequencies in a 'musical' way, if you have room.

In your case, the trunk is the easiest way, but not necessarily the best. The crossover frequency is probably too high to get decent sound through all the back seat padding and insulation. Perhaps there's room in the rear deck for one dual-voicecoil woofer in between the two 6x9's, but then you're getting beyond 'easy'or 'simple'.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

My shop manual wiring color codes indicate the 10-ohm connections as "Audio Input" and the

4-ohm connections as "Subwoofer Control". Also, each wire connects separately to the radio amp.

I'm going to give up the idea of replacing the speakers with the Jensens and look for exact replacements.

Thanks for the responses.

Reply to
Ken_B

Well it's hard to tell what's going on in the pic. The brown/yellow wires are the speaker wires from the radio. The capacitor on that side of the speaker acts as a crossover to block the lower frequencies to the 6x9. It looks like the green/blue and white wires may go off to another speaker (the subwoofer)? I don't know enough about your car to say for sure. They may even go to a seperate amplifer for the subwoofer.

Most aftermarket car audio speakers are 4 ohm. Delco always used speakers that were 10 ohm, don't' ask me why. What that means to you is that there is a small chance that running the Jensen 6x9 speakers with your factory radio could damage teh amplifier, letting too much current flow.

So, if you were going to try to hook up your Jensens, for simplicity you would just abandon the green/ blue wires on this side, and wire the speaker to the brown/yellow. Unless you play your music at fairly high levels, you probably won't hurt your radio.

Reply to
Michael Ware

Thanks for the advice. I think I'd better not experiment...wouldn't want to have to replace that radio.

I can't figure out what terminology to use in looking for compatible replacements.

Reply to
Ken_B