Connecting a Sub-Woofer for BOTH Channels

I have a small amplifier (about 15W per channel), that I use for my computer to listen to music. I have two speakers connected to it, which are bookshelf sized speakers from an old stereo. It works well, but lacks bass. I just got a sub-woofer which came from some sort of home theater system. I want to connect this to what I already have.

However, there is only ONE sub-woofer. How can I get both channels to work in this sub-woofer without combineing the channels to mono? Maybe I need a separate amplifier for this sub-woofer, which I could probably do, but then I have to feed the input of that amp with the signal from both channels.

I see commercial systems which are stereo, which only have one sub-woofer, so there has to be some means to do this.

Reply to
oldschool

Having its own separate amp channel is the best bet. If you're determined t o use it without, it can be run via a large air cored inductor to each outp ut channel. But you really won't get as good a result, being unable to cont rol the low end amplitude separately.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You could do that just use one of the channels since bass is mono, but it will load down that channel impedance even with inductor.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

Thats a very bizarre way of connecting speakers. I question whether there will still be stereo sound, or just some sort of mono????

I actually think I am going to go about this in a different manner. The plan is to use a separate amplifier for the sub-woofer. Those small amp modules can be gotten on ebay for $5 or less. That way I will get full wattage on the main speakers and can power the sub-woofer separately.

But this brings another issue. Is there any way to get half or each channel at the input to the main amp? Can I just put a capacitor from each input line to make a center channel, or will the two caps cause the channels to combine into one? Or maybe I also need a resistor, but of what ohms?

-OR- is there some sort of transformer that will work? (Two windings on the primary, one on the secondary) ???

Reply to
oldschool

Just use 2 resistors of apx the sub amp's input impedance.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The capacitor or transformer will still connect the two signals. The easy way to do this is to buy a stereo amp and use both inputs. Then push the MONO button and use one output for your subwoofer.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Mad. Sorry, it is.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If anything this will ephasise the difference between left and right. maybe stick 100uF parallel with the sub-woofer

yeah, and put the "sound card" into a mode that provides a sub-bass output.

Jasen Betts

I had my speakers hooked up this way. There will be full stereo. Just try it with what you have. It is an elegant solution.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

If you are going to use a separate amp for the woofer then it is an easy so lution. Or at least I think so. Have not tried this.

I would connect a 1 kohm resister to each of the stereo amp outputs. Conne ct the other end of the resistors together. and another 1 k ohm to that j unction to signal ground. So the signal from stereo amp a would go thru on e 1 k resistor and thru another 1 k resistor to ground. So half the signal would be fed into the woofer amp. THis signal would back feed to the ster eo amp B , but be seriously attenuated by the divider of the 1 k ohm and t he output impedance of the stereo amp B. So the signal from amp A would ha rdly appear at the output of amp B. The woofer amp would just need a gain of about 2.

Clear in my mind, but probably not clear to anyone else.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I'll give it a try wiring it in that manner...

What is the 100uf cap for? Is that a simple form of crossover? I did want to obtain a crossover of sorts, so only the bass goes to the subwoofer. But I dont really need to buy a complete crossover unit, since I am not needing the mids and high freqs. The MAIN speakers will cover the FULL freq range. So, I just need one or two passive components to separate the low freqs.

"Sound card"???? You lost me.....

I'd assume that if I use a separate amp, I can filter out the mids and highs at the INPUT of the subwoofer amp, but how???

Thanks

Reply to
oldschool

So then the separate woofer amp would connect to that junction between the resistors, right?

Reply to
oldschool

Your speaker + sub system will sound like dogshit if you don't have any way to adjust the crossover of the combined 2.1 system.

Get one of these and feed one main output to your small amp for the bookshelf speakers, and then feed the "mono" output to your sub amp.

Reply to
bitrex

Makes L&R speakers see the whole frequency, woofer only sees LF

RC filter.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, but 1k is rather low. Some things will feed that fine, some won't. 10k would be better. If using historic equipment, 47k.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

madness.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Maybe you should get a new amp with provision for a subwoofer. Then it will have the filter and the amps for all channels. I see some one eBay for under $30.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Right