Replacement part for older TV

I have an older Magnavox 25TRC1 television, and I noticed that my remote control no longer works. I don't have the original remote, but I use a universal remote that came with my DVR. This remote has always worked, and I think that the problem is inside the TV itself since the remote works fine for my other devices. I've have had to take the remote control sensor out of the TV several times throughout the lifespan of the TV and clean it. I thought this was the problem this time, but it doesn't seem to be. I think that the sensor has finally gone bad.

Does anyone have any advise (short of buying a new TV) on how to make this work? Perhaps someone knows where I can get a new sensor chip for the TV.

Thanks,

Troy Henderson

Reply to
tlhiv

tlhiv / Troy: As compared to the remote control itself, the sensor inside the television SELDOM is faulty, but it does happen. Before you jump through unnecessary hoops here, go to WalMart or Radio Shack and purchase a cheap universal remote.... as little as $5.... and try it with your television. Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

- - - - - - -

Reply to
Sofie

Frequent removing/replacing the sensor may have caused tiny cracks in the print tracks near the solder pads.

Reply to
ian field

Sofie,

Thanks for the reply. I have a universal remote that came with my DVR. It has worked in the past, and the remote still works on my other devices (e.g., VCR, DVD, etc.).

Troy

Reply to
tlhiv

Have you made sure the thing is still properly programmed? Maybe especially if you've dropped it and the batteries have fallen out, or if you've changed the batteries. For that matter, if the batteries are getting weak, that also might cause the loss of the programming.

I have a universal remote that I use at times, and it seems it can fall out of being programmed. At the very least, accidentally pressing the wrong button might explain why I have to reprogram it.

I think this is more likely than the IR receiver, as someone else also pointed out.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

I have tried to reprogram it. I have a list of codes that I've tried in the past, and one of them used to work but not now. This thing stopped working when I was adjusting the color in the TV menu that one of my children messed up. I thought maybe I had changed something in there, but I have looked through the menus SEVERAL times and can't find anything that would indicate that I've disabled the remote from the TV.

Troy

Reply to
tlhiv