Repairman's knot

chassis -

What is the point of deliberately squandering bandwidth, oh I know, its because you have broadband, whether filling "email" pipes or "www" pipes. Assuming it was 9 x1Meg jpegs then 20% area reduction and 30% jpeg purity would be far more than adequate for this graphics level purpose, so down to about 30K each. If anyone should want a high resolution version then that comes later, by personal arrangement.

Why send, unsolicited/unconfirmed, to some un-notified email account fully open to the full blast of spam, courtesy of usenet.

N Cook

Well pardon me for trying to help you. I won't be in the future. Your response borders on ignorant ...

Tie your cables up with old rope if you prefer.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

You started out in this thread looking like a nice guy, trying to help. You sure soiled your own image in a hurry.

Why immediately ridicule the original poster because he doesn't have or need a high-speed internet connection? All anyone wants is that you share your pictures in a way that is available to all, not just those with a high-speed internet, which BTW still is NOT available everywhere. Even if everyone had a high-speed connection, it's still inconsiderate to send images in any resolution form larger than they need be.

Why don't you post your pictures to a site like Image Shack, which has options to downsize them? This way everyone, not just the original poster can see what you are talking about.

C'mon, be a good guy, there are enough jerks around here already.

Reply to
jim menning

Be fair. In foreign places, you sometimes have to pay by the kilobyte, so short, small messages are preferred.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

IMHO, "ignorant" is emailing enormous images straight off a digital camera when it would only take a few moments to resize them to a smaller file. But a lot of people are ignorant of how to properly handle digital photos, so I try not to hold it against them.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

OK folks, here's the bottom line. His response caught me on a bad day. If you are a regular on this group, you will know that I often go out of my way to help anyone that has a query that I have a definite answer to, or in some cases, what I consider to be a useful suggestion. When this person posted his original question, it was clear that most of the American respondents, were not quite understanding what it was that he was looking for, suggesting various methods for strain relieving power cables, and locking them into the unit, rather than just tidying existingly fitted cables so that nobody would trip over them. Being from the same country and service background as this poster, and I suspect of a similar age, I knew *exactly* the knot he was referring to, so I posted a reply to him, attempting to describe, as best I could, how it was done. This is not easy so, helpful little soul that I am, I thought that I would take some pictures for him.

I then went to the trouble to post again, to tell him that I had taken some pictures for him. Looking at the e-mail address that he had posted from, although it did not appear to be via a UK based ISP, it never-the-less appeared to be valid, with no obvious spam trap. However, just in case, I made that additional post so that he knew to go and look.

Yes, you are right, I could have posted to a web based pictures site, so that all could look, but I felt that this was a specific enough question from the OP, that doing so would not be of any particular value to the group as a whole.

Yes, you are right that I could also have taken the additional time to load the pictures off the camera into some other program, and cropped them and reduced their size, although individually, they are not actually particularly large. However, the OP claims to be a professional repairer, so it did not occur to me for one moment, that in this day and age, given that almost all service information is only available for download off the 'net, and given that many service manuals are at least several megs, and sometimes several 10s of megs, he would not have a broadband connection for doing this. I'm pretty sure that a town the size of Southampton does not lack for a broadband service, unless he is located in some tiny village rural area, some of which, I agree, still do not have a bb 'net connection service. I took his subsequent reply - perhaps wrongly - of "no broadband here", to mean that it was because he didn't *want* such a service, rather than that it wasn't available.

My problem came after he replied to my efforts by asking why I was "squandering bandwidth" - as if that actually matters in the grand scheme of things - and sending " unsolicited mail to an un-notified e-mail account " as though it was just unwanted spam.

Now if you think that my response to that was out of order, then that's your opinion, and of course, you are very welcome to it. Maybe it *would* have only taken a few more moments to resize them, but I resent you calling me 'ignorant' for not doing so. I also resent your suggestion that I do not know how to "properly handle digital photos". Yes, I could have resized them, but I have a busy life, and unlike many on here, a life outside of newsgroups. As it happened, I was in a hurry when I responded to the original query, as I had an appointment to keep, so did not have those few moments available at that time.

All it was necessary for the OP to do, was to post a civil reply, or even come back to me off-group, thanking me for my efforts, and stating that for whatever reason, he did not have a broadband connection, and asking politely if I would take the trouble to resend them, or post them elsewhere, or send them to a different more valid e-mail address, in a smaller format. Instead, his first reply was a very terse one, stating that if it was me that had posted the files to him, then they were just going to stay there, and making more references to spam.

I actually replied quite civily to that one, telling him that it was a pity that he was not able to access them, as I was pretty sure that they showed just what he wanted to know. I went on to ask him how he got by as a service professional, without a bb connection. I asked this as an honest and genuine question. The reference to "walking with dinosaurs" and the BBC, was an in-UK tongue in cheek reference to a TV programme, and not intended to be offensive in any way, as indicated by the winking face I put after it, and I'm pretty sure would not have been taken as such by anyone in the UK.

So to Jim Menning, and you Mr Brodbeck, if all that makes me "not a good guy", and one of "the jerks", then sobeit. All I did, as I always do, is try to help the guy. All I wanted was a civil response. It was only after the less than polite ( in my opinion ) responses that I received from the OP, that I got annoyed.

But hey-ho. Bad day now over. Tomorrow's another day ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

and

the

( in

I gave you the opportunity to prove you were a good guy, and not one of the jerks.

You made an unnecessary reference to "the Americans" in your response here. A more proper statement would have been that other "well-intentioned responders" were confused. Rather than drag nationalities into the equation, how about just clearing up the confusion that you claim exists? Providing the pictures to a common location could have enlightened all.

But the real bottom line here is: Did you follow up to make the pictures available?

Again, here's the challenge: Prove to us you are the "good guy" as you initially appeared to be.

Thank you.

Reply to
jim menning

guy", and

the

polite ( in

jerks.

more

clearing

location

available?

initially

Aw geez, Jim. Give him a break. I know that he's responded in a helpful manner to my requests in the past. His responses to others has always been respectful and informative. He's a daily poster. He apologized and explained in depth. What more do you really want?

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Please don't get going on the race issue. I see enough of that rubbish in this country already.

Someone once made the observation that the UK and America are two countries divided by a common language, and this would seem to be proving that. I visit America frequently, and have done for many many years, so I am able to speak and understand your variety of the language fluently, which is why I understood that what this UK based poster was asking, was being misunderstood, by more than one person from your side of the water.

The reference was not unnecessary to the explanation, and I can't understand how you could possibly take offence at your countrymen being referred to by the nationality that they are. So let's get that point totally straight, right off. I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING against Americans of any colour, creed, political persuasion or whatever. I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING against the way that you speak the language. By making the reference in my previous posting, I intended ABSOLUTELY NOTHING detrimental, to you, or any of your countrymen. Are we clear on that one now ?

Here are the pictures. They are about 100k each now, and I make no apology for that. If that is still too much to force down your piece of wet string in less than an hour, that's not my problem.

Hope you all find it worth it. If any of this makes me not, "one of the good guys", then I hesitate to think what you must make of some of the ones that we get on here sometimes, who really aren't, and make a point of being genuinely offensive ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jak. Appreciated.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

jpg

Yes, thanks for that. Certainly neat and a lot easier to undo than the form I was shown and neater than the sloppy version I use, my initial lock requiring winding 2 turns and then back over those 2 turns, so lumpy spiral rather than noose-like.

The one I was shown, the plug was right up against the mains inlet point and the final loop went over the hanks at the extreme point away from the kit, IIRC. That final loop he really forced over the hanks , having to squash them all at the same time with big fingers that he could probably use as Stilsons. The only way to undo it, without breaking finger nails etc, was to wedge a screw driver next that final turn to undo it all.

N Cook

ps Anyone know what any of these knots would be called?

Reply to
N Cook

guy",

help

jerks.

responders"

just

initially

manner to

and

What

I don't feel I'm being too hard on him. I came into this thread after he had become hostile, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who was curious to see his pictures to see exactly what the original poster was asking about. Truthfully, I'd like to see how his knot differs from the one I had pictured in my mind. And if so many others in the thread were confused also, wouldn't it be helpful for him to share with all of us? It's beneficial to all readers to see the outcome, otherwise all responses might as well be done via email rather than even being discussed here.

Reply to
jim menning

"Race issue"? First, it was you the mentioned the nationality issue, now you bring in theterm "race issue"? Where is all this coming from. What race issue?

Again, it was only a couple of posters that were trying to help. Their confusion was as helpful individuals, not as Americans. I see far too many people saying "Americans this, Americans that" as though we are all one homogenous group. We are like any other group, one of individuals, not all like-minded.

than

Again a hostile tone from you. I have high-speed cable internet, not a "piece of wet string". I think your attuitude here has not mellowed at all. You still proudly display a chip on your shoulder.

guys",

here

Funny thing here. I interpreted the OP's question correctly as looking for a cord wrapping procedure, not a "knot" as referred to in the subject line, and I had looked for instructions for a similar kind of cord binding, although done customarily with the plug at the far end from the equipment. I have never seen this done with the knot at the equipment end, and so I have now been educated. And isn't thast what this group is for? To share knowledge? It's a shame it's often times so difficult to accomplish this.

Finally, thank you for posting the pictures to explain the mystery.

Reply to
jim menning

I am not going to reply further to your many points - which I think ideally illustrate my contention of two countries separated by a common language - as I see no benefit to the group in pursuing it further by so doing. The pictures are now posted, in a form that you approve of, and you have now viewed them, and seem happy to have done so, so that's good. The OP has now viewed them also, and commented favourably.

I would point out that I have posted on this group for many years, and have I believe, amply demonstrated my credentials over that time, as being what

*I* would consider to be one of the "good guys".

I have never actually seen you posting on here before, and know nothing about you, so you will understand that I feel no obligation to justify myself to you, further than I already have. That said, if you are new to this group, I have no desire to get off on the wrong foot with you, and if my mildly sarcastic banter has offended your - or indeed anyone elses - sensibilities in some way, for that, at least, I apologise.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

you,

further

offended

Thanks for the pictures, explanations, and apology. I'd like to apologize to you also for the way this turned into an argument from what should simply have been a more cooperative and tolerant effort from both sides.

jim menning

Reply to
jim menning

"Not"

Sorry, couldn't help that one. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Thanks so much for posting for the general public. I see it's a slight -- better -- modification on the technique I've used. I like the "push the loop through" at the end rather than "push the plug through". In USA the plugs are smaller, but still I like your method.

Thanks again,

--
John English
Reply to

Well done, both.

--
John English
Reply to

That's the one I use as well, both for wrapping power cords and for compact storage of many types of cables. It makes it simple to merely grab both ends of the cord and just pull, in order to unwrap.

Lately, for certain cables that get wrapped and unwrapped frequently, I've taken to doubling the cord back on itself, as many times as is convenient, and tying a simple overhand knot in the entire loop. Much quicker than the above, and doesn't leave that springy coil at the end.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert