Who fixes transistor Transoceanics?

Hi- I've got a gorgeous Zenith RD7000Y with a 500MDR70 chassis in near pristine cosmetic condition that plays worse than a $4 drug store cheapie.

Who can I trust this gem with to do a first-rate electronic repair and alignment job?

TIA, Lew

Reply to
hershey

Hi- I've got a gorgeous Zenith RD7000Y with a 500MDR70 chassis in near pristine cosmetic condition that plays worse than a $4 drug store cheapie.

Who can I trust this gem with to do a first-rate electronic repair and alignment job?

TIA, Lew

Reply to
hershey

It's the speaker. See article at:

in the "Disassembly - Routine Cleaning" where he talks about the deteriorated speaker gasket and fried push pull output xsistors. They're in sockets, which makes replacement trivial.

Schematics and manuals:

More info:

Dunno. It might help if you disclosed in what country you reside. There are quite a few web sites with photos and storied by Zenith Transoceanic owners. Some might be willing to do the repair or know someone that can do the job. I once rebuilt a tube type B-600 series radio. I spent countless hours restoring, only to have it disappear when I moved residences many years ago.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

USA

Reply to
hershey

try rec.antiques.radio+phono

N_Cook

Zenith sounds very US to me - did they export?

--
*Money isn\'t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I guess adding a thanks to Jeff for taking the time to track down the information and further trying to help you, just required too much effort on your part.

Reply to
propman

Very international. In its day, Zenith had offices in several European countries, although I don't recall where. In the 1950's and

1960's, if you wanted to listen to international AM short wave broadcasts, Zenith was the major vendor for portable radios. Transoceanic radios was just one of their products. In 1979, they bought Heathkit. They also manufactured computahs under Zenith Data Systems. In 1999, they went into bankruptcy and were purchased by LG which still uses the Zenith brand name:
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

That's nice, but totally useless unless you enjoy travelling or shipping cross country. See:

for a list of antique radio repair people. I was rather hoping that you might do some reading on what's involved in a repair, so that you might either attempt it yourself, or know what to ask. Oh well.

Since you can hear audio, just walking an oscilloscope down the audio chain should identify the section that's causing the distortion. I would offer to fix it for you, but I don't think I could resist the temptation to buy (or steal) it from you. Sorry(tm).

Incidentally, required reading for Zenith Transoceanic owners:

You might find the asking price rather interesting:

When a was a pre-teen brat, trying to grow up in Smog Angeles, we had a gigantic Grundig console short wave radio. I would stay up far past my bedtime, listening to 99% noise and 1% weak and garbled shortwave stations. Unfortunately, there was no earphone jack, so nobody got any sleep when I was listening. Moving the Grundig into the garage was not an option, so a used Zenith Transoceanic T600 magically appeared. It was no better at hearing SW DX, but had the advantage of being portable. I spent many a fond evening playing SWL freezing in the garage with the Transoceanic. It was also my first real repair job, after I removed all the tubes for testing in the drug store tube tester, and managed to mix them up when I plugged them back in.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks to all for your help and courtesies.

Reply to
hershey

Where do you get off making such an accusation? How do you know whether I expected further exchanges with the author, and was going to pass along my regards at that time? Get a life!!

Reply to
hershey

On 9/23/2009 5:31 PM hershey spake thus:

It's the impression one gets from someone who posts a three-letter reply to a [any]-lined post, with no trimming or other niceties.

You may be well advised to "get a life" yourself.

David Nebenzahl

and

Dude, the answer was succinct and completely responsive to the inquiry. It (the reply) did not require "War And Peace".

Reply to
hershey

On 9/24/2009 6:31 PM hershey spake thus:

It was, as I said, just an impression.

David Nebenzahl

Uh-huh...sure whatever you say.

Reply to
propman

:On Sep 24, 5:11 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote: :> On 9/23/2009 5:31 PM hershey spake thus: :>

:>

:>

:>

:>

:>

:>

:> > On Sep 23, 8:27 am, propman wrote: :>

:> >> hershey wrote: :>

:> >>> On Sep 22, 11:20 pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote: :> >>>> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:26:09 -0700 (PDT), hershey :>

:> >>>>> Who can I trust this gem with to do a first-rate electronic repair and :> >>>>> alignment job? :>

:> >>>> Dunno.  It might help if you disclosed in what country you reside. :>

:> >> I guess adding a thanks to Jeff for taking the time to track down the :> >> information and further trying to help you, just required too much :> >> effort on your part. :>

:> > Where do you get off making such an accusation?  How do you know :> > whether I expected further exchanges with the author, and was going to :> > pass along my regards at that time? :>

:> It's the impression one gets from someone who posts a three-letter reply :> to a [any]-lined post, with no trimming or other niceties. :>

:> You may be well advised to "get a life" yourself. :>

:> -- :> Found--the gene that causes belief in genetic determinism : :Dude, the answer was succinct and completely responsive to the :inquiry. It (the reply) did not require "War And Peace".

No matter what your intention was, the fact that on-line communication does not convey body language or facial expression, anybody reading your 3 letter response could be forgiven for thinking you were just being curt or not grateful for the detailed response from Jeff. BTW, what does "USA" mean regarding the context of the information Jeff provided?

Reply to
Ross Herbert