Repair help for philips cd960

Dear sirs,

Maybe you have an idea ? about this, I got myself a vintage Philips cd960 and dac960 the look like new and they also sound wonderfull using the cd960 as a drive and the dac960 as converter. But on some cd's (not all) I hear through the sound some static clikking noises alway's at the first 4 or 5 tracks, tracks later on there is no problem. I allready changed the laser and drive but it makes no difference. It is the CDM1 drive (very nice) by the way. Do you have an idea ? The laser is good it even reads cdr without a problem and it is only on a few cd's that I have.

Regards René.

Reply to
René

Rene,

Did you adjust the focus offset and laser power output when you changed the laser? I don't know the CD-960 specifically, but for many of the CDM 1 and CDM 4 based machines I've worked on these adjustment must be made. For the focus offset, you don't really need the official Philips test disc. You can use several commercials discs and compromise the adjustment to they are all in tolerance.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Thanks for the reply Tim,

no I did not made the adjustments because I am a little bit affraid to damage the laser, but now I guess must do it. I wil have a look at the laser service manual. Yesterday I took the cd that has the most cliks on it and I made a copy with the exact audio copy program and the cliks were gone. Can it not be some copy protection ? wich this vintage players can not handel ?

Hope to hear from you Regards

René.

Reply to
René