PHILIPS CDR-770 cd recorder problem

Visiting relatives and their CDR 770 (1999 vintage) has the following problem. After being powered up for only a few minutes, it locks up and no buttons operate. Totally frozen, and a hard reset is needed - then a few moments after, it happens again. This happens if a disc is being played or the unit is on and idle.

I suspect something is confusing the uPc, possibly bad filter caps on the PSU, but I do not have the tools and test stuff here, so just posted to see if anybody has seen this fault and could say if it is worth my while taking it away to try and fix.... regards, B.

Hi!

It hasn't died yet and new caps should be pretty cheap, so I'd say "shotgun it and see". What does it look like inside?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh