Repair a 1999 JVC 32 inch TV (model AV-32750) or not

Is my 1999 JVC 32 inch TV (model AV-32750) worth repairing?

The TV is hooked up to my cable service and has intermediate sound problems. Sometimes when I turn on the TV the sound is working fine and sometimes it is not working at all. After a minute or two the sound comes back. Then periodically the same scenario (complete loss of sound and then it returns after a waiting period).

Is this 1999 TV worth repairing at a service center or should I apply the repair cost to purchasing a newer TV?

Your comments and opinions are appreciated.

Reply to
seversont

if it's hooked up to your cable box and not straight to the cable, and your cable box is like mine, it has stereo sound outputs at the back, so go buy one of those powered stereo speaker sets for ipods or whatever and hook it up. or splurge for $50 like I did and get one with a subwoofer.

other options include opening it up and seeing if you can tap into the audio off the wiper of the volume control and hooking a cheapo audio amp there.

otherwise, if you are in a hobby mood, you might want to just figure out where the audio section of the circuit board is, and resolder all the solder joints.

or splurge and get the schematic from sams or whoever and go after it for real.

but as far as actually paying somebody to repair it, especially when the end of analog is near, is probably not cost effective.

Won't analogue TVs in the US continue to work with (digital) cable boxes after analogue TV transmissions are discontinued?

Reply to
hooch

Sure, but at that point all you really need are audio and video monitors, so rather than patching the sound up on the TV you'd be better off just buying one of the zillions of cheap amp/speakers combos floating around these days. or even something good.