reliability of Pioneer plasma sets

I know what you mean. I think that the older you get, the less inclined you become to actually getting off your arse and doing these things ... I have a graphic LCD panel sitting here on the table by the side of me. There is a board that I built hooked to it, and I have a proper professional IDE / compiler installed on the computer. I found some routines on the net, imported them to the IDE and compiled them and loaded them up to the PIC. It sort of worked, but there is some issue with there being both a vertical and a horizontal 'echo'. Could be hardware. Could be software. And there it has sat for at least 2 years. I was really enthusiastic when I started on the project. Now, I can't even be fagged to look a bit deeper into the routines, to see if I can write a simple diagnostic to prove out the hardware. Very sad really. Actually, all I want to do right now, is jet off to sunny Florida, on holiday ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I was accustomed to standing close to plasma displays and feeling the heat come off them (on the back of my hand, anyway). The Pioneer had to run several hours to get noticeably warm, and it wasn't nearly as warm as other sets.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Hmmm. Interesting. I wonder if this has had any bearing on Pioneer's decision to quit the plasma market totally ? It is also interesting that the article cites LCD's as being much more energy efficient. Well yes, they are more efficient than plasmas, but nothing like as efficient as CRT sets had become. The backlighting of even a fairly modest sized LCD amounts to 80 watts or so on its own, without the power consumed by the rest of the set. A large screen LCD uses over 100 watts to power just the backlights ...

Perhaps this latest bit of green-mist legislation in the making, will finally kick start the involved parties into sorting out the legal wrangles to allow the truly efficient and superior display quality SED technology to gain a foothold as the de facto replacement for plasma.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Its supposed to rain most of the week. :(

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!
Reply to

Bright sunshine here at the moment, but I'd still rather be out your way ! Had a severe weather warning on my Weather Channel desktop for Orlando Airport yesterday. Very heavy thunder and hail I think it said. Been a while since I saw a good storm. We're gonna try and get out some time in May. Based on previous visits at that sort of time, should be quite nice then ??

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

With Florida you never know. Central Florida is under another severe storm watch tonight.