pioneer PDP-501MX plasma TV problem

A friend has a pioneer PDP-501MX plasma tv which now does not work. Apparently there is a problem with the panel itself-most likely with the electodes located on the front side of the glass. Pioneer says the Plasma panel will have to be replaced. The plasma panel is number AWU1025. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Needeless to say my friend would rather not spend thousands to get it fixed. Is there anyway around this, e.g., an easy (he should be so lucky) repair, or a cheap panel replacement? Any thoughts, comments appreciated.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Armour

These sets are service by mainly modular type repair as like a PC machine. The boards used are very complex, and would not be cost effective to service, unless the fault was very simple. When changing the boards, there are adjustment procedures that must be verified. The proper training, service set-up, and service information is required to do this type of service.

If the screen is defective, it is like a tube or module. It must be replaced. There is no substitute than having the original parts for these types of sets. On some models, when changing the screen, the proper tools are required to re-attach the ribbon cable assembly.

There are procedures after the new installation to make sure that the screen drives and supply voltages are in specs. This is something you will not be able to do at home.

As for anyone who buys a Plasma screen, they have to consider that it is like having an expensive automobile. When it is time to service it, the cost will be reflected by the product type. Also, the Plasma screen reliability is not the same as the standard CRT set. We always suggest to the client take out an extended warranty, especially with this type of product. Usually they think the warranty is a rip-off, but wait until the unit fails when it is out of the base warranty! Generally the repairs on Plasma screens are fairly expensive.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Douglas Armour"  wrote in message
A friend has a pioneer PDP-501MX plasma tv which now does not work.
Apparently there is a problem with the panel itself-most likely with
the electodes located on the front side of the glass. Pioneer says the
Plasma panel will have to be replaced. The plasma panel is number
AWU1025. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Needeless to say my friend
would rather not spend thousands to get it fixed. Is there anyway
around this, e.g., an easy (he should be so lucky) repair, or a cheap
panel replacement? Any thoughts, comments appreciated.

Douglas
Reply to
Jerry G.

In adition to making sure that the repair is done by a professional, do you have any sense from the information about this Pioneer that the repair is worth doing. My sense is that it would be cheaper just to go out and buy another one (with a long-term warranty). Is there a resting place for plasma TVs that no longer work?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Armour

I have seen several plasma TVs with broken screens on ebay lately. If the screen is the only thing that's broken (physically), then parts are reusable..

machine.

there

these

tools