re-wiring Gaggia Coffee Espresso?

In power wiring, ground and neutral can be smaller if the code allows. In appliances there is no point.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Yep. Both smaller pins are properly hot on all outlets.

I have three GFIs in the kitchen, two on one wall and one (with a slaved outlet as well) on the opposite wall. I'm not sure what the code says regarding GFIs in the kitchen, I got the impression they're required for all kitchen outlets from a real estate salesperson.

--
        Martians drive SUVs!
Reply to

GFCIs are required when there is a potential to touch a grounded object such as a water faucet and anything plugged into the outlet. So kitchens, bathrooms, utility/laundry rooms, and all outdoors outlets all must be GFIed.

AFCI breakers (arc fault circuit interrupters) are required in all new construction for bedrooms in most areas of the US.

Reply to
PeterD

I glad you qualified that. Here GFCI's are not required required by law, but Israel Electric (the local monopoly) will not approve any new work without one AHEAD of the main breakers. Many new homes have three phase service, so they have three mains.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

Well that's a new one on me. Either it isn't wired to code or they now no longer require a split service to the kitchen. Every kitchen I've ever checked has 208 or 240 across each outlet.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Just so I don't have to rip one out of the wall to check, is it actually possible to split the outlets on a standard GFI outlet? If so, is it as easy as breaking off the little "ear" on a standard outlet? Also, does splitting it leave only one outlet protected?

--
        Martians drive SUVs!
Reply to

No, not at all. You'd need two of them, one on each 'phase'. You COULD have two singles in the kitchen, one for each side of the split line.

Sounds like you need to hook it up to the range outlet but that would mean it would be 'over fused'. Definitely a job for an electrician with local code knowledge.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson