re-wiring Gaggia Coffee Espresso?

That should've read;

Robert

Robert Harm> "news.rcn.com" wrote in

Reply to
Robert Harmon

I suspected as much but this machine seemed so alluring

Reply to
news.rcn.com

"news.rcn.com" wrote in news:xZGdnfWo25kVYuPYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

Sell it on eBay & get your money back. Be sure to note that it's 240v.

Robert (duck & cover) Harmon

--
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

Is that because you're a one-trick pony, dude? Or is that because you can't see a way to insert your typical PID self-promotion into this thread? This is an easy conversion, easy enough that you might be up to the task yourself.

Robert (There's more to espresso than a stinking Silvia w/PID.)Harmon

daveb wrote:

Reply to
Robert Harmon
  1. Cut the plug off the cord.

  1. Install 240V plug like the one on your stove.

  2. Make your coffee in the kitchen.
Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Yeah its easy enough, especially if you feel that you had the skill to rewire the coffe maker for 120v.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

yes. I agree.

there are quick mills and Isomacs and Gaggias and ???? with pids too.

(There's more to espresso than a [deleted] Silvia w/PID.)Harmon

Reply to
daveb

For an $800 machine? I bloody would find a way to make it work.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

why not first plug it into a 220 outlet (I'm sure you've got one somewhere in your house) and see if the machine even works, before you contemplate rewiring or running 220 to your kitchen counter?

Reply to
Alan

That'd be my first try out.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

euro 220 volt plugs don't work in the US.

euro SOCKETS are difficult to obtain.

Then an adapter to fit US 240 volt plug (typically a clothes dryer -- or less likely, an air conditioner) to a euro 220 volt SOCKET would have to be made. -- (after finding and buying one)

OR -- other more dangerous methods could be explored.

methinks the OP is / has lost interest in the whole thing.

And BTW, 'homer'

a NEW gaggia of this type is about USD 450.00 max, let alone an unknown UNwarranteed USED one.

dave

188
Reply to
daveb

I'm assuming he will cut off the plug and fit a US 240 V model.

You don't know how cheap I am.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Hey guys, you don't know how cheap I am!!

After all I am the one who paid virtually nothing for it in the first place!

BTW this machine has a common triangular female plug in a hole in the back where you can insert ANY power cable from ANY other device, especially any desktop computer power supply. (It is the simple one which isn't the figure

8 one or the bunny ears one) And I have already said that I do have a 1500 watt transformer in my living room as well as that unusual Spanish-looking 208v A/C socket. i am perfectly prepared to test this thing out.

What I don't see happening is anyone bidding from Europe who is prepared to pay shipping on it to outside the US???

Reply to
news.rcn.com

(not if you were thinking of it as a replacement for a Baby and were wondering if there was any acutal difference between the two, - when there apparently isn't)

Reply to
news.rcn.com

the shipping is SO high that most in EU stay away.

dave

Reply to
daveb

M Berger wrote in news:elrs5h$so9$ snipped-for-privacy@roundup.shout.net:

Or aren't afraid to do the power conversion themself.

Robert (It really is a piece of cake @$60 - 70.) Harmon

daveblows

Reply to
M Berger

I have a question related to this thread.

I am in a somewhat similar situation. I recently bought a used/refurbished Gaggia Classic Espresso machine. After deciding it was lacking in heating/steaming ability, I took it to a place that repairs Gaggias.

They confirmed that it is underpowered. Upon investigation they found that it was a 220V converted to 110V. It has a 110 boiler and solenoid. They said the problem is that it needs to be rewired. They said the only reason I am getting any heating is that there is a "return of power".They said the refurbisher just hooked the wiring up as it was and that this is WRONG. They said that for 110 use, it needs to be completely rewired (differently).........3 hours.......$60 an hour.

I called the original vendor and he said it is fine. He says bring it to him and he can adjust the thermostats. The other techs said the thermostats are OK.

Sooooo, who do I believe? Does the wiring have to be redone when converting it from 220? I do believe there is definately a power issue, since it works, but it is very slow to heat up for steaming and slow to steam. It does not brew at the right temperature either (160 degrees F instead of 192)

I am not sure who to believe.

I know NOTHING about electronics. What do I need to know to get someone to fix it right?

Thanks for any guidance.

Craig

-------------= Posted from Ugroups.com =-------------

---= Fast & Free Web Portal to Usenet Newsgroups =---

-------------=

=-------------

Reply to
bigjuggler

Hi...

There's a wiring diagram here (down at the bottom of the page - for a

120 volt machine, if it's of any help at all.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

3 hours? 20 minutes max for a half way competent tech. Looks like the two elements might be in series on 220, in parallel on 110. Easy

The solenoid and pump may need a step up transformer to run properly off

110. Not hard.

$20 for a transformer and 1 hour max to do all of that.

Hell, I used to repair popup toasters. Diagnose, repair and test all in under 5 minutes. Practise makes perfect.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson