RCA PLUGS

recommend a source for quality RCA plugs ?

RCA-RCA plugs ?

Male AND Female

Reply to
avagadro7

Radio shack, discounting now that they're closing lots of stores.

Spending any more than $10 for a 6' stereo RCA pair is snake oil.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

need plugs only

there's a Shack en route....

bought a nice set from Sonix with the live vinyl feel runs 12' from dash to amp on van portion wall ....worth every dollar.

Reply to
avagadro7

Maybe.. Spending $9.95 for wires that are more vinyl than copper is a crime..

I like to use old beat up LL audio cables as donors for fine wire to repair traces on printed circuits, and you wouldn't believe the big, heavy cables I've stripped back just to find a few strands of wire inside.

Reply to
ohger1s

No, not really. It does matter - outside of audio phool overpriced stuff that is.

I have used a number of different RCA style plugs and jacks (gold and tin plated, etc.) and there is certainly a quality difference that shows up in compromising environments. My usage is in an unheated building where light beam operated targets use RCA plugs to connect to their control boxes. The original 1970s RCA plugs had longer center pins and a sturdier socket than the ones I can find easily at Rat Shack and other discount junk suppliers. I go to industrial places like Digi-Key to get the quality and weather resistance I need.

I hate having to replace plugs/sockets after four or five years because I cheaped out when I repaired it previously...

John :-#(#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 2:18:29 AM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote: I go to industrial places like Digi-Key to get

It's been years but in the old days I would use copper RG58 or 59 with all metal RCAs. Those would last forever. You could hang clothes on them and not worry about breaks.

Reply to
ohger1s

John Robertson:

Ok. I understand your point about durability over time I was referring to those mfgs of audio cables making claims that their wires will 'improve' the sound over average cables. In THIS respect, spending $30 for

1m RCA interconnects is pure robbery.
Reply to
thekmanrocks

Yup, and I doubt they make claims about environmental durability. Now if this is for concerts or industrial use then you go to better grade of connectors, but that is a different class from home audio.

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

It would take me a month or two to replace all the RCA connectors in my stuff..... Heck, some of the stuff has about 25 of them on ONE piece of gear.

Reply to
oldschool

the RCA cables you get on Ebay these days, the ground tabs are so thin that they don't hold tight at all when you plug them in.

I've taken to soldering wires around them which is a colossal waste of my time. I'd rather pay a little more for a usable connector. Like they were 5 years ago.

Anybody know a source of not audiophool cables but just decent usable RCA cables.

makolber

Take a look through the selection of RCA audio cables available at Markertek. They have a whole range of types and prices.

The ones made by Sescom, using Mogami Neglex cable and "the highest quality connectors from Neutrik, Connectronics & Switchcraft" might be a reasonable tradeoff between quality and price.

Another option would be to rip the RCA jacks out of your equipment and install BNC. The cables aren't necessarily cheaper than RCA, but it's a better-designed connector.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Gold.

Not Gold.

Enough wire to make your own in some quantity.

Reply to
pfjw

Parts Express

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Maybe 30 years ago, I replaced my cables with custom lengths with a solid core Soldered with a decent grip.

Now you have RG6 and RG59 compression RCA's which don't look like a bad alternative for non-flexible stuff.

Ron D.

Choose some gold plated ones.

Reply to
Look165

totally pointless, unless they're for use in a damp environment.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In 50 years, I have never had to replace a RCA audio jack on anything, with the exception of once overheating it while soldering and melting he insulation inside of it. (That was when I was young and using a much too large soldering iron).

There is nothing wrong with RCA plugs/jacks. If they get a little corroded from being in a bad environment, a little 2000 grit sandpaper cleans them right up. (Or even a pencil eraser).

Reply to
oldschool

the task is RCA leads from the auto receiver allowing removal for remote parking.

I have some cheapos from Amazon n 4 packaged RCA from 14 years ago ....

I'll try your advice n Crutch where hardware is AAA.

The live vinyl spiral wound 14GA? rec-amp lines at 12' are as live vinyl now as 14 years ago. A section runs across the van floor between seats.

Not disappointed

Reply to
avagadro7

Switchcraft RCA Jacks and Plugs, available from better electronics dustributors.

greg

Reply to
w9gb