Banana plugs and jacks

OK this is a silly question. You've got banana plugs and jacks... which is the female and which male.

(I can find it both ways online.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

They are the same with most any other plug and jack. The hole is the female and the part that is inserted into the hole is the male.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I understand male and female :^) I guess I've always called these backwards though... I've been calling the male part the jack... Oh well.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

While things have been called different names, the 'offical' definition of the jack is the part that is mounted to a piece of equipment and the plug is the removable part that is often at the end of the wire. There is no real female or male jack or plug. You can have a female plug and male jack. That is the case of some of the 120 volt computer power supplies. The part on the computer is a male jack and the end of the cables is a female plug.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

There's so much confusion on this topic that I try to make sure to get a picture.

As an example, in radio control aircraft usage, a "male" connector is a dingus with holes in it, that plugs into a hole in the receiver that has pegs buried in it. So I look at the holes in the "male" connector and I think "female", and at the pegs in the "female" connector and think "male" -- but if I want to order the right thing, I make sure to go by that community's language.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Yeah, and preferably a PHOTOGRAPH; there's documentation I've seen, that identifies miniDIN pinouts, which shows only a line drawing. The caption does not identify if this is looking into a socket, or looking into a plug. Worse, ONE drawing clearly identified the asymmetric pin spacing of a miniDIN-8 plug, but with a mirror image of the actual pinout (as though looking at the solder side of the connector).

Reply to
whit3rd

BNC connectors are also confusing: The one that is "obviously" female is typically designated male, and vice-versa. Apparently the designation pertains to the little inner pin or socket for the center conductor, not the big outer shell that connects to the shield.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v9.20 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI FREE 8-channel Signal Generator, DaqMusiq generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

The connectors are confusing and I agree that a picture is the way to go.

Many connectors refer to the pins and not the whole connector. The BNC is one, the computer connectors like the DE9 and DB15 connectors are the pins. The USB connector does not look at the actual parts that make connection,but at the connector as a whole and the ones that are usually on the computer is the female and the part that plugs into it is the male.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Its kindov obvious unless you've never had sex.........................

Reply to
Ian Field

Maybe the food they are now serving taste better than the girls that were on the stage?

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Well, lots of tourists bring their wives and kids along, and a restaurant is a better place to take them.

And mostly-undressed woman are not such a novelty as they used to be.

I got took to a couple of strip clubs long ago, and a Playboy Club once. I didn't see the point of the pretend sex, and the food was awful.

A big building on our block used to be The Power Exchange, some sort of fetish thing. It's now full of coders. The Armory (Kink Inc) is a few blocks away, and that is transitioning too.

There are few "gentlemens" clubs left here. There are gay bars but, interestingly, few lesbian bars left. The places are mostly becoming restaurants. There are zillions of Google types who make gobs of money and live in tiny apartments and don't cook.

I don't think that's literally true, but it's close.

lunatic fringe electronics

No, that's the Jill.

Unfortunate male name for a female part. But then the times they are a changing ! I can declare myself anything I want and visit the restroom of my choice. Where is the "THEY" restroom anyway? A judge so declares that "TYE" is an acceptable alternative to Male or FeMale.

(Should that not be spelled Fee-male?) Oh yes, that is another group.

Reply to
MyLife

Ian Field wrote on 6/17/2016 4:19 PM:

This *is* an electronics group... I'm just sayin'...

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

"Jack" is a male name but "jack" is a female connector it's just one of those arbirary things about language.

Jasen Betts

Hey, that's correct.

It's called a Jack because its a hole for Jack to jack off, as you now understand it.

Don't ever believe anyone if they tell you I don't know Jack Shit!, because they maybe correct!

I just hope your real name isn't Jack, because I don't know Jack Squot, ether!

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

The jack is the less-mobile half--a male panel-mount BNC (as used in Pomona boxes, for instance) is a jack too.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So these

are male jacks?

(Or were before they were broken.)

lunatic fringe electronics

Well, those ones are more mobile than the instrument they connect to, especially now. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I actually (after five years) redesigned the box to stop the connectors breaking. We shipped the first articles about 6 months ago.

lunatic fringe electronics