RCA ColorTrack 2000 - Picture faded/washed out

I have a RCA ColorTrack 2000 20" (F20705DG) from about 1991. Today the picture is almost completed faded/washed-out of color. It is bright, white-ish looking image with a little color, and slightly diagonal lines. It starts out with a black screen and a white line, then pops to the faded picture.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be? I'm trying to evaluate whether to get a new TV (LCD HDTV) and just take this one to the dump, or try and repair it (actually, I planned on buying a new one and bringing this one upstairs, but it might not be worth it). I've really liked this TV (though it has had an intermittent problem where when I turn it on, sometimes it has a purple-ish halo look, and I need to turn it off and on again to get a good picture).

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
noonehere

On 11/01/2006, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com posted this:

Where I oive you have to take it to a recycle center and probably pay a few bucks to get them to take it, but it looks like that is the best thing to do with your set :-(

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

If I've guessed right from the description, it sounds like the backgorund is going way up. This causes the whitishness, dilutes the colours, and causes the retrace lines to show up. This is a relatively simple fault to fix. First suspect would be the pot that adjusts 'background' setting. Twiddling this back and forth a bit and setting it to the same place may well be all thats needed.

Since I'm not familiar with you, I'll just say there are assorted risks in tvs that you need to know and avoid.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Look for a small signal transistor near the rear of the T.V. chassis in the middle. Q 902, or Q905, 3214 may be the number.Or Q2901 FOR SHORT # 143806 I can't remember the exact location. It's an older unit. It will measure bad on an analog meter, or on a good digital meter. Have a look here:

snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Reply to
Dani

At the very least, you've got high voltage problems and possibly vertical issues as well, although the vertical problem may stem from the HV issue. Weak flyback, etc.

If your area is anything like here in the mid-west, HV and/or Vert trouble in that set will likely set you back ~$125 parts & labor. [or more]

Hell, most places around here want anywhere from $40 to $80 just to look at it. Non-refundable, of course.

With brand new 20" pure-flat crt sets starting around $145, I think repair as an option is silly.

Dump it and go HD LCD or Plasma.

my .02c

--
-Gandalf

Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon for you are crunchy and taste
good with ketchup!
Reply to
Gandalf

Thanks all!

I think the best option is to take a ride to the county dump. And stop by Best Buy or HiFi Buys and get a look at a couple of sets. The Panasonic TC-32LX60 (LCD) or TH-37PX60U (Plasma) sound pretty good (though only the first will fit into my cabinet).

Reply to
noonehere

or

or

if you disclose condition.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I cant see anything that indicates any issue with eht or vert scan, what makes you think that?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Fault in vert circuit can cause black screen with horizontal white line.

Fault in flyback/hv can cause retrace lines.

Among other things, obviously.

Point is, it's not worth repair regardless.