Radiation hazards from inefficient microwave oven?

I've seen a microwave oven where due to most likely an interlock problem, the turntable and fans will continue to run if the door is opened, but the microwaves are off.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

It's like a neon screwdriver but has an LED and batteries in it. Described as a 'MEET' All Weather (!?!?).

-- _____ _ _ |_ _| | | | | | | __ _ _ __ ___ | |__| | ___ _ __ ___ ___ _ __ | | / _` | '_ ` _ \ | __ |/ _ \| '_ ` _ \ / _ \ '__| _| |_ | (_| | | | | | | | | | | (_) | | | | | | __/ | |_____| \__,_|_| |_| |_| |_| |_|\___/|_| |_| |_|\___|_| __ ____ / _| | _ \ ___ | |_ | |_) | ___ _ __ __ _ / _ \| _| | _ < / _ \| '__/ _` | | (_) | | | |_) | (_) | | | (_| |_ \___/|_| |____/ \___/|_| \__, (_) __/ | |___/

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

A neon pilot bulb. If you think it doesn't work, try putting one in the microwave!

Reply to
Bob

A bit of a difference between 1000 watts and a few milliwatts though.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

What youre describing is obviously a very long way removed from the first cooker. At the first witnessed microwave cooking event the cooker had no door and was pointed toward the audience, but this was not a commercial oven.

Cookers were a logical development on from dishes that could cook pigeons, and were open and routinely rf irradiated the people on board. Moving to 2.4GHz would make a lot more energy absorbed and turn to heat, hence the burn risk. Until then no-one had any reason to believe there was any reason not to expose themselves to microwaves.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message I replied to stated "First Microwave Oven", not an irradiation system.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

we know that

NT

Reply to
meow2222

: Was the original 250 V fuse a white ceramic? You do not want a :common 125 V fuse if the circuit requires the sand filled ceramic that :is made to prevent a ball of plasma from melting it the next time it :blows. It can do a lot of damage, or even start a fire.

It was evidently ceramic, but the color wasn't white. It was a sort of tan or beige. I'm kind of color blind so I'm not good with colors, but it was definitely not white.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Then you need to replace it with a ceramic fuse. they are designed to prevent a ball of plasma from forming and continuing to arc. Using a regular glass fuse in its place is a liability issue.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida