:JANA wrote: :> :> It's common that the magnetron starts to go weak after a number of years. :> Also, the main capacitor in the power supply may be starting to fail. : : : That is an oil filled film HV capacitor. When they "Start to fail" :they don't waste your time. They are generally either good, open, or a :dead short. All the bad ones I've seen were a dead short, but i had a :nice pile of good used ones from scrap ovens. A lot of controller boards :die here in Florida with all of the lightning, so I save the :transformers, Magnetrons and HV parts. Come to think of it, I've never :had a new microwave oven, and the most I've paid for one was $2 for one :with a shorted interlock switch. I have three working units right now :that were given to me, all in like new condition.
I found a MW oven in the street a few weeks ago and brought it home thinking it either works or I'll tear it open and salvage the magnets.
It seemed dead, but yesterday I opened it up and the fuse tested dead (250v, 15amp). I had a 125v 15 amp fuse and putting it in, the oven appears to work.
- Can I leave that fuse in there or should I get a 250v 15 amp instead?
- A MW oven troubleshoot NOTE: Fuses do not usually blow on their own. A fuse may blow because of problems with the interlock switches or with high voltage circuitry. It is also possible, though rare, that a power surge will cause a fuse to blow.
I have a MW oven I prefer, and figure to store this in my garage for that day when my current one dies (they always seem to eventually). What are the interlock switches and can I fix a bad one? Or is it possible I could fix a high voltage circuitry problem? TIA for some help.