PSU tickling sound

Hi,

PSU has tickling sound problem. I read that changing the regulator IC will solve the problem. So I change the KA3842B Controller IC with UC3842B IC (On Semiconductor). Tickling sound disappears but PSU could not power on the Point of Sales terminal; just managed to flicker on the terminal display only.

Should I use only the original KA3842B Controller IC?

Thanks for your advise.

Seventh Prince

Reply to
SeventhPrince???

"=?utf-8?B?U2V2ZW50aFByaW5jZeS4g+WwkeeItw==?=" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

It's probably bad electrolytic caps,where their ESR increased,a very common failure of switcher power supplies.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

PSU (Portland State University) reports they have many tickling sounds. All the way from grunts, guffaws, and screeches, to high-pitched shrieks and gasps.

Reply to
Don Bowey

See the SMPS repair guide at the sites below.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

That was almost funny.. :| ;) probaly funnier if you associate psu with portland state. not power supply like me.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Sam, How do I recognise which caps are bad? Thanks

Reply to
=?UTF-8?B?5LiD5bCR54i3U2V2ZW50

=?UTF-8?B?5LiD5bCR54i3U2V2ZW50aCBQcmluY2U=?= wrote in news:43520143$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.tm.net.my:

If you don't have an ESR meter like the Dick Smith Electronics meter(very affordable,very good),then you're best bet is to replace all the electrolytics.

Also look for discolored,swollen,or bulging electrolytic caps;indications they are dissipating excessive heat.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik