Kenwood KX-W8050 cassette deck problem

Just got a Kenwood KX-W8050 dual cassette deck off eBay that the seller said had been tested and worked. When it arrived (poorly packed), Tape 1 didn't work at all--no motor sound, no play, record, or anything else. Tape 2 worked OK. When the power plug is first making contact with the outlet, or when it's jostled after being inserted, the reels and capstans on Tape 1 turn for about 2 seconds, then stop. So Tape 1 is apparently receiving power, but nothing is engaging when the play or other controls are operated.

I have no electronic repair skills, so I'll return this unless it's something pretty simple to fix. But I'm hoping that something may have gotten knocked loose in shipment (since it supposedly worked before) that I can reattach--or it's something equally easy to fix. I've opened it up and checked connections, and everything looks properly attached. Anyone have an idea what the problem may be?

Thanks - Dan

Reply to
Dan Sherburne

Return it. It needs belts, general maintenance, maybe even a motor.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Thanks for the info. Back it goes.