Probably simple AM radio repair

Hi,

I acquired a Tandy Chronomatic 246 clock radio that is in great condition. The only problem I have is AM reception below 900 kHz is almost non- existant. I can turn up the volume to max and touch the internal antenna to hear stations at low volume. The FM band works great.

I did replace a leaking 4.7u electrolytic cap that was nearest to the adjustable yellow choke and tuning cap, but it made no difference. I also adjusted the chokes a little to see if I could get better reception near

900 kHz, but no luck.

I'm suspecting there might be a broken wire in the internal AM antenna? The wires in position on the antenna are:

Red-Black-Blue White

If I touch the white wire, much better reception. But it is soldered to the PCB securly.

Is there a way to test the antenna, like ohm it out? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Dave" bravely wrote to "All" (22 Jun 05 05:18:25) --- on the heady topic of "Probably simple AM radio repair"

Da> Subject: Probably simple AM radio repair Da> Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:51188

Da> Hi,

Da> I acquired a Tandy Chronomatic 246 clock radio that is in great Da> condition. The only problem I have is AM reception below 900 kHz is Da> almost non- existant. I can turn up the volume to max and touch the Da> internal antenna to hear stations at low volume. The FM band works Da> great. Da> I did replace a leaking 4.7u electrolytic cap that was nearest to the Da> adjustable yellow choke and tuning cap, but it made no difference. I Da> also adjusted the chokes a little to see if I could get better Da> reception near 900 kHz, but no luck.

Da> I'm suspecting there might be a broken wire in the internal AM Da> antenna? The wires in position on the antenna are:

Da> Red-Black-Blue White

Da> If I touch the white wire, much better reception. But it is soldered Da> to the PCB securly.

Da> Is there a way to test the antenna, like ohm it out? Any other ideas?

Da> Thanks,

Dave,

The loopstick antenna can often be optimized by moving the pickup coil along the length of the ferrite rod. However, I don't think this is the real problem. There might be a break in the tuning capacitor or its trimmer. Perhaps the rf xformer/mixer cans has an open coil. Perhaps the local oscillator/mixer (transistor, IC) is stalling below

900KHz. This might be the supply bypassing electro for that circuit being open, try tag soldering a good one across it. It should be obvious where the problem lies by signal tracing with a scope or demodulator probe. Was this an existing problem or a sudden event?

A*s*i*m*o*v

... That was a fascinating period of time for electronics

Reply to
Asimov

Unlikely. Probably someone unskilled "tuned it up". You need a signal generator and basic skills.

NSM

Part of routine maintenance. Tighten all the screws :)

(OP - this an old joke; don't even think about it!)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I saw a few tube radios brought in for repair after that was done. Then there was the guy who disassembled his record changer and brought it all in to me in a bag for me to figure out.

NSM

Don't forget that electrolyte is very corrosive, and has a tendency to creep where you don't want it to - it loves things like RF cans . . .

If the decoupling cap that you mentioned really leaked, and it was near an RF can, suspect that it's gotten inside, and eaten the windings .

Geoff

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Asimov" wrote in news:MSGID_1=3a167=2f133.0 snipped-for-privacy@fidonet.org:

Thanks for the advice everyone! I should mention after tweaking the chokes around the variable tuning cap, reception is acceptable to 750 kHz, but there are a few stations below that I'd like to listen to. I bought the radio with its current problem at a garage sale, it doesn't look like it's ever been opened. I'll inspect the variable cap and chokes.

I do have a 5MHz function generator and a decent scope, is there some advice on the net for testing receivers by injecting signals? I am mainly a digital troubleshooting type and don't really know that much about tank circuits and such.

Reply to
Dave

chokes

it's

Peak the IF at 455 KHz.

Adjust the coils to peak at 600 KHz, and the trimmers to peak at 1500 KHZ. Repeat as required.

Not a big deal really. BTW, if the ferrite rod is cracked it won't work well.

NSM

Dave:

Where are you located?

There are many antique/tube type clubs out there that could probably figure out what's wrong in a few minutes. Those of us brought up on tube type am-fm radios can do what's needed in our sleep, but writing out the process would take ten times that long, even for just an am radio.

Regards,

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Dave wrote:

Reply to