Radio repair

I have an old 6 transistor radio (Spiket 2 Band, MW and LW) made in >Okenawa Japan. Complete with leather case, looks to be a late 1950s or > early 60s model.

The radio works well toward the lower end of the AM band and also >upper end, but reception drops off in the middle of the band around >800KHz, but the reception is good if I touch the antenna loopstick.

> I have tried to peak the antenna trimmer capacitor with no effect > around 800KHz, but the trimmer does peak the stations near the high >end.

I have also tried to adjust the main tuning capacitor along with the >oscillator coil to try and get a peak around 800Khz without success.

>I have connected a generator to a couple turns of wire around the >antenna loopstick and monitored the signal on a scope. It tunes very >well and there is a sharp peak wherever I set the generator and tune >the cap. The local oscillator signal on the tuning capacitor also >looks good with fairly constant amplitude across the band.

It's a perplexing problem. Everything works well, but reception >is poor in the middle of the band.

>Any ideas?

-Bill

Well Bill, it sounds like the Dylithium crystals to me. First take the Antenna and attach it to the warp core drive. Be careful to watch for a warp core breech. Attach the generator to the shield modulator. Take the capacitor and soak it in a mixture of Mineral Spirits and Virgin Olive oil. Now stick the antenna up your ass for better reception. Turn it on.

Reply to
TwistyCreek

.........Goblin teasmade?!

Reply to
ian field

You are coupling in signal - try adding a wire antenna, maybe a whip.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Actually, I got it fixed a couple months ago. The problem was the LW winding on the ferrite rod was loading the antenna rod around 800Khz. I disconnected the LW winding and the radio now works well on MW, which is all I want.

Thanks,

-Bill

Reply to
wrongaddress

and if you give it any more power, she will blow!

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5