A few questions about SATELLITE RADIO....?

I know this is probably a little off-topic but I figured someone in here might be able to shed some light on these SATELLITE RADIO questions for me.

What I am interested in is listening to SATELLITE in my home. I am planning on purchasing a receiver real soon. Here are my questions.

- - - - - - - - - - -

1 -- Do I have to buy that BOOM-BOX thing? Or, is there a "work around" for it? I am somewhat limited $$$ wise and although I can afford a receiver I would have to wait on the boom-box.

I have numerous devices, radios etc... that have "line-in" inputs. Couldn't I feed the satellite receiver into one of them? Any way around having to get the boom-box?

2 -- I live in a two-story apartment. Will I have to be camped out on my front porch or glued to my sliding glass door to get a decent signal? I live about 50 miles from NYC and Phila., if that means anything.

Just wondering if any of you guys had some input you could offer me.

Thanks so much.

Annie

Reply to
nj_annie

You might try alt.radio.satellite as well, although unfortuntely these days it's little more than a bunch of people cursing at one another over whether Sirius is better or worse than XM, which strikes me as a pretty pointless argument.

The portable receivers generally have regular old 1/8" stereo headphone jacks which you can just run to a regular stereo or computer speakers if you want -- you should be fine. (The "generic" -- not head-unit brand-specific -- car models generally have RCA jack outputs.)

Your location implies you probably won't be nearby a ground repeater, so your antenna will probably need a clear view of the sky to avoid dropouts. The antennas come with long (generally >10', some are 25' or more) cables, so usually you just find somewhere outside to place the antenna (i.e., on the roof, on a yard stick stuck out the window if you're on the second floor, etc.) and then run the antenna cable inside.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

DOn't buy the boom-box thing unless you're going to use it as a boom box. My "My-Fi" came with a car kit and a home kit. It has an FM transmitter and a 3.5mm phone jack. I normally use the transmitter so I don't have to move the receiver to listen to XM anywhere in the house.

Sure. If you don't need it for what it is, don't buy it.

You should get an antenna with the unit (in addition to any internal antenna). Place it in the South/West side/corner of the apartment and use the receiver's antenna aiming utility. WHere I life I don't have a terrestrial link, but here in NE Ohio the terrestrial link is about as good as the satellite connection. If your terrestrial reception is good enough it doesn't matter much where you put the antenna. The receiver chooses which link it likes better.

Hope we helped. I've had XM for three years or so and love it, particularly on long trips.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Thanks... for all of the replies as I have found them to be very helpful.

So... since I do have an FM radio (actually 3 of them) then can someone suggest a relativly inexpensive unit that I can purchase that will set me up within a short period of time?

I guess the word "kit" confuses me a little bit. It SEEMS that there are more "kits" and adapters then actual plug-&-play satellite radios. Why do you think that's the case guys?

Thanks

Annie

Reply to
nj_annie

nj snipped-for-privacy@golfilla.info wrote in news:1191548837.637888.215690@

22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

The can sell the core reciever cheaper, and soak you on the accessories.

Reply to
Gary Tait