Parts pricing question.

The Canadian Dollar is close to on par with the US dollar, so why aren't electronics parts closer in price? I know the suppliers don't track everyday prices with the dollar, but if I order a 239111 flyback at Vance baldwin in the USA, it lists at $ 59.99 USD, & it's $ 92.78 Can at Global? A red CRT for an ITC222 52" RCA rear projection, is almost the exact price USD at Vance, that it is at Global Canadian. Explain? Dani.

Reply to
Dani

why

don't

flyback

92.78

is

Canadian.

My local "Big Name" grocery sells a gallon of PET milk for $5.99 (US dollars) and the "Big Name" Drugstore directly across the road (approximately 100 yards or 100 meters) sells the same PET gallon with exact same expiration date for $3.89 (US dollars) Explain that and i can probably explain your's ? robb

Reply to
robb

Everything is sold at what the market can bear - not some magic percentage figure above manufacturing and distibution cost.

You're probably luckier in Canada than the UK - here most things cost the same in gbp as they do in US dollars, despite the pound being valued currently at double the dollar.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

$5.99

apologies , this is electronics group...

my local "big name" electronics retailer sells a P.O.C. digital camera for $149.99 (US dollars) and the "big name" office supply store a couple minutes away sells same P.O.C. digital camera for $179.99 (US dollars) and the "big name" corner drug store sells same P.O.C. digital camera for $109.99 (US dollars) ? Explain that and i may be able to explain your's rob

Reply to
robb

It is probably the marketing concept of WTMWB.

This is better known in the vernacular as "What the market will bear."

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

The first thing is that the parts were probably bought on inventory before the dollar changed. The second thing is that importing the parts from the US to Canada when being a retailer or distributor, involves courier services, brokerage, and custom's charges.

For example, a box shipped by a major courier, weighing about 10 lbs 12" X

10" X 12" shipped from New York to Toronto can cost about $60 using economy service. The brokerage will charge about $42 minimum and an average of +0.5% plus the base brokerage charge after a value of $1000. All items coming in to Canada have a charge of 6% tax as soon as they are registered at customs. If the items have classification for duty, there is an additional charge according to the duty rate for the item.

If the item is an electrical or electronic spare part manufactured in the US, there is normaly no duty charges before the 6% tax. If the spare part was manufactured outside of the US coming in to Canada, it can be taxed as high as 30% + depending on its classification. For most electrical and electronic parts manufactured outside of the US, the added tax is about 14%.

I can see a flyback or most any part coming in to Canada being about double the price of that in the US if a dealer imports it for you. If the part was manufactured outside of the US, it will be fairly expensive. If you bring it in yourself, you may be able to have it a little cheaper if you can get it for the dealer's cost. If you pay the retail price, it will probably work out to the same amount or a little more in the end.

--

JANA
_____