Panasonic VCR has snow in "play", picture OK in FF/ REW?

Hopefully someone can help me troubleshoot this problem.

I have a Panasonic PV-V4522 "omnivision" VCR, and a few days ago, I put an old rental tape in it. It played for just a second, then the picture got garbled and snowy. I figured it may be a bad spot on the tape, so I rewound it. It rewound at a curiously slow speed, and still had massive snow on playback. This tape also kept trying to eject from the standalone tape rewinder, so I don't know if it was sticking or what.

Anyway, I tried a different tape, and it also showed snow. Tried yet another, and more snow. If I manually adjust the tracking enough, you can get a glimpse of a picture hidden in the snow.

So I tried a head cleaning cassette. The VCR didn't seem to like that. Groaning and so forth. Problem remained. Got a newer "brush" style cleaner tape, and it didn't help either.

So here are the symptoms: The sound is fine, but the picture is nothing but white "static". However, if you fast forward or rewind while the tape is playing, the image returns, color and all. If you pause the tape, the picture returns (although in a garbled "pause" state). Here's the interesting part: If you take the tape off "pause" (resume playing), it plays just fine for about a second, then the picture goes back to being white static.

Do you have any idea what might cause this sort of behavior?

Thanks!

Reply to
<wavelflack

The heads are probably still dirty. Hopefully they were not damaged by the bad tape. The reason that it works in FF/REW is that a different set of heads are likely used for those modes.

You can try "playing" a brand new tape for awhlie. That may clean up the heads.

Or, clean it manually using the proper technique, or have it cleaned professionally.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Jamie ha escrito:

What ???

Reply to
lsmartino

take the cover off the top, and clean off the tracking wheels.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5