Q: B&W output from muliformat VCR

I've got a Sharp mulitformat VCR (pal, secam, NTSC) that seems to want to only playback in black & white. I'm sure I had it playing back in color before, but as I don't have the manual for the machine I don't know if this is a setting I can't find yet (hopefully) or something has broken in the VCR. I've never heard of a VCR losing it's ability to display color - is that possible, and if anyone have any idea which component would be responsible??

Thanks for any help! Please followup to the group or email snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

thanks again!!

Reply to
Jeremy

Many of these multi format models have a switch on the front panel for color / black-and-white. A newer model might have it in the menus.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Make sure you have it set to output the correct format for your TV. If it's outputting PAL and you have an NTSC TV, you will see a B/W picture. Even a multi standard TV might not be able to display all formats in color. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

only

before, but

setting I

and if

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Jona Vark

I'm using the yellow rca video connector, if that's S-video (sorry for being so dumb, but thanks for all the replies!)

Reply to
Jeremy

snipped-for-privacy@all.com

being so

ok.. that's a composite video connector.. Sometimes a bad S Video cable can result in B/W images..

sorry..

Reply to
Jona Vark

only

but

if

Thanks Andy, is it possible this so-called 'multiformat' vcr only outputs in PAL and is not switchable to NTSC?? I had assumed it was made for people in North America to watch PAL tapes on, but maybe it is made for people outside of North America to watch NTSC tapes. Actually I assumed multiformat means input and output of all formats listed on the door of the tape slot, meaning anyone could use it to watch tapes no matter what kind. If that's not the case, would the guy who sold it to me be obligated to refund my money or should I have known what I was buying??

Reply to
Jeremy

Or a good one, feeding an input that doesn't recognise the chrominance signal. Many domestic SCART inputs are like this. The pin's there, but it's not connected to anything.

Reply to
Laurence Payne

a few basics first....

1) what tv have you hooked it up to ? is it multisystem? (i assume you are in N. America) 2) what standard is the tape you are trying to play? 3) are the symptoms the same on PAL and NTSC tapes? speeds? 4) model of machine?? (I have a sharp VC-890ET multisystem deck) 5) have you tried it on a different monitor?

if still faulty, could be a dry joint on a crytal on the relevant chroma section...but check the above first and post back!

-Ben

I think it is a multi-format VCR not multi-system. Multi-system means it has a converter built in which this one apparently doesn't because you need a multi-format TV to view it or a TV of the format the tape you're playing from the VCR is. If you play a PAL tape through an NTSC tv it goes in black & white. The vcr model is VC-MH300

Reply to
Jeremy

Ok. what you have there is a multistandard vcr, but without standards conversion, since, as you say, you need a Tv monitor of the system you are playing back. it is correct then that you're getting a B&W picture with pal to NTSC. The NTSC colour subcarrier is 3.58 and PAL is 4.43. what would, however, be incorrect is having b&w from NTSC tapes on the NTSC set! does this happen?

-B.

My VCR, sony EE-150E has two switches or playback standards:1.color system :auto/pal-mesecam/ntsc and playback:on pal tv/ntsc 4.43.Have you checked that your VCR has a similar switch, maybe in the back panel, that can playback on the standard your tv is?

-- Tzortzakakis Dimitrios major in electrical engineering, freelance electrician FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr ? "b" ?????? ??? ?????? news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

it has a

from

Reply to
Dimitrios Tzortzakakis