Panasonic DVD #SA-HT75

I replaced the spindle motor in this since it wasn't working, and it still doesn't work. Does anyone have experience with this particular model, such as expected motor voltage, or a driver circuit that I should check? I don't have the schematic, this is why I am asking for help. Thanks group.

Reply to
stokesb

What do you mean it wasn't working? The spindle motor did not run at all? Or the DVD player wasn't working and you guessed it was the spindle motor?

Did you precision adjust the platter height if you just replaced the motor? Did you perform the laser auto adjustments per the service manual?

Reply to
dkuhajda

What troubleshooting did you FIRST perform in order to diagnose that the spindle motor was faulty?? When you replaced the motor did you align the hub to the proper and critical height?? In most DVD and CD players, if the laser does not focus for a variety of faults, then the spindle motor will receive voltage and not turn, so don't expect any spindle motor motion until you verify that the laser is emitting and focus lock is achieved and verified. You may want to go to the website for this newsgroup at

there, with some searching, you will find a wealth of troubleshooting tips, repair proceedures, component testing methods and important safety information. electricitym . . .

Reply to
electricitym

The problem was "disk error" message being displayed when a DVD was inserted. The motor wouldn't turn in this process, so figured this is why the error message. I removed the motor/laser deck assembly, connected a 5 volt dc supply to the motor to see if it would run, it didn't. I turned the shaft manually to a slightly different postion and re-applied voltage, and the motor worked. Using this method, I could get the motor to work about 10% of the time every time I applied the 5 volt supply. I figured this was definetely a motor problem and replaced with a new one as stated. I was aware about the hub height adjustment, but thought this would be made with the motor turning a DVD to provide some sort of feedback while being read. The laser is still working as it was in the beginning, but not sure about the focus lock thing, since I am really unfamiliar with DVD player repair. It is looking like my original problem may not have been a motor fault based on the replies I have received. I will do some research on the laser assembly function as suggested, and post my findings/results, further questions soon. Thanks to all who replied.

Reply to
stokesb

The player was displaying "disk error". Figuring the disk had to spin to be read, and wasn't, assumed a bad motor. I haven't aligned the hub yet, because I thought the laser had to be reading a disk to be aligned (feedback while aligning). The laser is emitting, but I was, and am unfamiliar with focus and lock. I will check out the suggested newsgroup for info that I am obviously in big need of. The cost of replacing the motor is of no big deal to me, since I do this as a hobby, and realize I will make these kind of mistakes along the way. I'm not verify familiar with DVD repair or operation, which is why I was unaware of the above focus, lock, etc. You mentioned the motor will receive a voltage to prevent coming on? Do you know what the normal operating voltage/and shut down voltage should be? I'll post results/more questions as I get them. I do appreciate the reply and info. Thanks to all.

Reply to
stokesb

I have read some good info on the start up operation/focus. I'm almost positive I replaced the motor for nothing. Now, assuming I have a focus problem, I don't know how it was out of focus in the first place. This may be the original fault. Is it unheard of to have to perform focus adjustment with no prior invasion of the player, or misuse? I was given the code to access the built in anti jitter software. I will attempt to do this today. Be back soon. Thanks again.

Reply to
stokesb

YES... obviously.... of course things can break, become faulty and need repairing even "with no prior invasion of the player, or misuse"

--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie