Panasonic bookshelf stereo mod, need help...

Hi all,

I am hoping someone here can provide the info I need to modify my system. I took three years of electronics courses in high school, followed a couple of years later with a 2 semester course of Consumer Electronics Servicing in college. This was ten years ago, so I'm a little rusty, but still know which end of a soldering iron to hold... :-)

I have a Panasonic SA-D102 bookshelf stereo system (AM/FM/DualTAPE/CD/AUX) that I bought secondhand. One of the tape mechs is broken, however, since it's too tall for the space I want to put it anyway, I want to remove the tape decks completely. This is an all-in-one unit, so it will take some work. Since I consider my time less valuable than my money (at this point in my life), I was hoping someone who has a schematc and/or assembly diagrams for it might be able to tell me if it's possible, and guide me in what steps to take to accomplish what I want to do.

I figure there are some circuits i would need to clip, some wiring to reroute and connectors to reposition. Can anyone help?

Also, another mod I need to make is to add a button to the front to toggle on and off the backlighting of the display.

Thanks in advance,

--Electro-- aka David M.

PS: pleae respond in group, or if emailing, put PANASONIC as subject. (I receive a LOT of spam at this addy)

Reply to
David M.

Yikes!!

NSM

I don't think you'd need a schematic to do what you want.

Probably, you won't need to do anything like that. Take out the tape mechanism, and unplug or cut any wires that prevent that from happening (there won't be many). Tape or otherwise insulate any dangling wires that are left over from your surgery.

The only thing might be noise pickup if you select the tape input -- but why would you do that, if the deck is missing?

Find the wires going to the backlight. Cut one of them and stick in a switch. Drill a hole in the front panel to mount the switch.

Isaac

Reply to
Isaac Wingfield