Zenith SL7573W top of image collapsed

I've got a Zenith SL7573W from Aug '93, woodgrain cabinet (if that matters). The picture looks decent, but the top is collapsed, about an inch or two is black, followed by white horizontal lines through the next part of the picture. The rest looks normal. Is this a common failure in this set? Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I am gathering that this shouldn't be too bad to fix.

Thanks!

Reply to
Chris

Change filter caps in vertical circuit. Dont check em change em.

Reply to
kip

That is what I suspected might be the problem. Is there a place where I might be able to find a schematic or even just the values on the filter caps? I figure I might as well order a set.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

That's a common failure in many different sets, bad electrolytic capacitors around the vertical output chip, it's a good one to try repairing yourself if you know something about electronics in general and TV safety.

Reply to
James Sweet

You dont need a schematic just pull them out and change them. Locate the IC LAxxxx and replace the caps around it.

Reply to
kip

After you replace a few caps by putting them in backwards ands using the wrong values, and screwing up the pc board by to much heat or running solder bring it in to your local repairshop to have them fix it for more than what it would of originally cost you if you would of took it in in the first place.

Reply to
tvguy

Reply to
kip