Magnavox FP4620 W101 shuts off after warm up

I recently salvaged a rear projector tv from the trash, and other than the red tube needing degausing, it worked fine. As I planned to turn it into a front projector, I had removed all the components and re-assembled it on my work table. I was doing some adjustment tests when a spark ocurred near the base of the blue tube, and all tubes died. It turned out that the HOT had blown, so I replaced that. Now the tv turns on, but shuts down after warm up. To turn it back on, the power button has to be pressed twice. The color balance knobs no longer have any affect, although the focus knobs do. The only other sympotm I can find is the behavior of the voltage on a jumper between the large signal board and the small signal chasis, labled 'ABL' When the tv is turned on, it will go to six volts, but then as the brightness comes up the voltage will decay past zero and the tubes shut off shortly thereafter, at which point the voltage returns to six. Although the tubes shut off, the high pitched whine associated with crts remains until the power button turns it off. Unfortunatly, there is no photofact for this tv.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Scott

If you go to themanufacture authorized parts distributor a service manual can be ordered. I would not be surprised if there are damaged parts in the bias circuits and drive circuits to the tubes. Also, damage to the output supply circuits may also be damaged. It will take some involved troubleshooting for you to resolve this.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

Sounds like a bad filter cap in the automatic brightness limiter line & or a bad spark gap or internal crt short.check for shorted/leaky caps on ABL Board. Make sure you have good ground connections crt sockets,crt,& chassis

Reply to
geno419