CRT tube - Releasing vacuum for tube removal/disposal

I need to remove the picture tube from a 14" computer monitor. I'd like to release the vacuum first because i think i should before i remove the tensioned wires holding in the tube. I have removed the neck board and can now see the indexing plastic of the socket. That indexing plastic is siliconed on with white silicon and i can't seperate it with a knife. I'm thinking of using a dremel to saw through the indexing plastic as that is where i'm thinking i should be filing then snapping off anyway.

Does this sound like the way to go? I really want to release the vacuum. How do people usually let out the vacuum?

I pulled off the Ultor cap where the annode lead attaches, but it's all glass under it, theres no metal i can drill.

from the faq:

> "The vacuum can be safely released (Let out? Sucked in? What does one do

with an unwanted vacuum?)without spectacular effects by breaking the glass seal in the center of the CRT socket (may be hidden by the indexing plastic of the socket). Cover the entire CRT with a heavy blanket when doing this for additional protection. Once the vacuum is gone, it is just a big glass bottle though there may be

some moderately hazardous materials"

I tried searching google, but I couldn't come up with anything except the same FAQ.

Thanks, Simon

Reply to
Simon Webberist

do with an unwanted vacuum?)without spectacular effects by breaking the glass seal in the center of the CRT socket (may be hidden by the indexing plastic of the socket). Cover the entire CRT with a heavy blanket when doing this for additional protection. Once the vacuum is gone, it is just a big glass bottle though there may be

Making defunct CRTs safe To release the vacuum inside a CRT.Remove the multipole connector from the neck of the tube and at the centre usually is the point where the air is evacuated originally and is usually the weakest point.Take outdoors and place CRT-face down on cardboard or similar on the ground and cover the whole CRT with something like the composite back pannel off the TV with just the centre of the CRT neck exposed.Wearing goggles lightly tap the weak point with a centre-punch and light hammer to crack the glass just at this evacuation point.I've never known the whole CRT tube to implode doing this but the extra protective cover should be used. off my tips file

I must have done this to 50 CRTs over the years and nothing more than a hiss of air inrush

N Cook

releasing vacuum from crt:

remove pcb from crt base, where the ring of pins is. In the middle of that is a glass nipple, breaking this is the safest way to defuse the bomb. Stand tv upright as usual, place metal bar one end on ground, other end on the glass nipple. Retreat round corner of building if paranoid or litigious, or you may become so at any time, and whack the metal bar downwards with something hard. Sweep up any broken bits, sometimes the neck end can break.

leave that alone! A crt broken in the wrong way can go off like a small bomb.

If you take the vacuum out, wher has it gone?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

My favorite way?

1) Set the monitor/tv out in an open field.

2) Carefully take aim with whatever firearm you possess.

3) Fire

4) If desired effect* not achieved, repeat steps 1 - 3 above.

*note: For more spectacular results remove crt from device and aim for the center of the screen (will require extensive clean up). For minimum collateral damage, aim for the neck of the tube.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Reply to
CRaSH

The cap itself is metal. I've done it both ways but tend to agree that crushing the exhaust tip at the socket is lower risk.

That IS the real question!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

I've always broken the very end of the nipple (where fused) with dikes.

Long ago in high school a couple teachers wanted to see how explosive a crt acutally is. They tossed a small 7" crt into an empty room, immediately closing the door. They found glass everywhere, including on top of the window frames.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

Why do you have to repeat step #1? ;-)

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Simple ..I must have done a hundred that way...

Making defunct CRTs safe........etc etc etc

Put it in box look the other way smack the neck with a hammer...job done.

No science here ...yikes

Reply to
kip

I recall the tale of an Australian serviceman who was replacing a tube and requested that the family leave the room with their dog. They declined and he proceeded.

While removing the tube he tripped over the dog and a full implosion occurred. After that they left the room. It's not clear how long it took to remove the shards of glass from every surface in there. Even he was impressed.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Pair of pliers is what you need. Remove the back cap on the neck by twisting it off with the pliers. Now, you will see a glass tip ... crush it with the pliers. Eye protection is recommended.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Gotta point there...might have to move a little closer, though.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

I thought it might be gun shy and tried to run away. ;-) My favorite trick was to remove the plastic guide and use a tiny triangle file on the thinnest part of the glass, till it started hissing. Some were still hissing the next morning. It also scared the hell out of people that weren't supposed to be in that part of the shop. ;-)

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

with an unwanted vacuum?)without spectacular effects by breaking the glass seal in the center of the CRT socket (may be hidden by the indexing plastic of the socket). Cover the entire CRT with a heavy blanket when doing this for additional protection. Once the vacuum is gone, it is just a big glass bottle though there may be

I've only done this with Trinitrons. Small scratch awl in the anode connection and bop it with a small wieght - a pliers is just fine. It pokes a little hole to let the air back in (the vacuum out). It just hisses quietly for a short time. The 20" one was pretty cool but usually they're just 14" bottles.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

Considering that I don't even own a gun anymore....

I was surprised a couple of times by how 'gently' the vacuum can be breached. I once did some work on a tv, set it aside for some reason with the back in place, but unattached. Shortly thereafter, I happened to bump the set and the back fell down on the neck...hisssssss.

Another candidate for the dumpster.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

I just whack the center of the socket with a hammer. But then I've been doing it for years and am no longer timid about it.

Reply to
Bill S.

I tossed one off a cliff up in Kentucky back in the mid '60s. The neck hit repeatedly on the way down, landed on it face intact. Just as I was ready to turn and climb back up the hill it imploded. You just never know.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Number 1 Wear Safety Glasses with side shields 2 Wear leather type gloves 3 Place monitor on it's face ,on the floor 4 Cover the back of the tube using a heavy carpet or blanket,with only socket projecting out 5 Socket has to be removed 6 Use a pick all or the tang of a file,tap soft glass at seal,with a small hammer 7 After hissing stops, YOU GOT IT MADE

Never had a tube implode in 50 years, hundred's done 3 in. to 32 in

len

Reply to
Len Cutress

Take the monitor to a coworker of mine that thought he knew how to 'fix' things. In the short time I worked with him, he must have snapped the yokes off of 5 TV sets and 2 monitors (plus the VCR he dropped down the stairs). The only thing that exploded was the customers anger when I told them they would not be getting their item back anytime soon!

Sim> I need to remove the picture tube from a 14" computer monitor. I'd like

Reply to
Shawn Heil