OT: archiving on CD/DVD

As my statement about cleaning could be taken either way this is my pre-existing statement on my tips files "Cleaning CDs, DVDs etc Always clean data/audio or video CDs in a radial sense, not circumferentially, so that any microscratches are across and not along the data paths."

Reply to
N_Cook

Hi!

Go more slowly than that, on the order of 4X/8X burns if you want longevity.

I store my discs in a dark, cool and dry place on shelves in their cases.

So far the best longevity I've seen is from paper, hard disks, CDs, QIC80 backup tapes or even carefully stored floppies, in that order.

I was really a little astounded when I unearthed some QIC80 cartridges and found that nearly all were readable. Only one was not, and it was because the tape had rolled into the cartridge. It could probably have been fixed. Of course, the QIC drive is so simple, and as long as the rubber drive roller is good, it ought to work.

In my experience, DDS and SDLT tapes have proven to be unreliable even after as little as three years of storage.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I'm a big fan of paper. I have several QRS rolls of digital music that are almost 100 years old and they still perform faultlessly.

Jeff

--
?Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.?
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Reply to
Jeffrey D Angus