Onkyo TX-DS797 - no digital ins.

Hello all,

I've got an Onkyo TX-DS797 here with a complaint of 'no output'. Well, it works ok with the internal tuner, or an analog input, but not the digital inputs. If you connect a CD player to the coax input, the display shows "PCM DIGITAL" which goes out if you pull the coax cable, so the unit at least knows there is a signal there, but no audio.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Maybe a bad DAC feeding the output stages or a bad mode-switch IC? Scope for signal out from the DAC and signal out at mode-switch IC in PCM DIG mode.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Just a thought..... I've seen several lately, including Onkyo's, where resoldering the large postage-stamps on the DSP board brought them around. It's tedious, but it might be worth a try. I'll hit it with a heat gun first - if is starts working after a bit I know I'm on the right track.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias