PROBLEM: CD Player Digital Output

I have a Yamaha CX-1000 preamp and I just acquired a used Yamaha CD player that has a digital output (CDX-710).

The CX-1000 preamp has digital inputs on it. Even though this CD player sounds fine through the analog outputs, I wanted to hear what the digital output sounded like.

I used a Monster Cable Datalink SP/DIF cable I had lying around to connect the two.

PROBLEM: I get perfect audio through the left channel, but nothing at all in the right channel. Needless to say, the CD player sounds great in BOTH left & right channels when I use its analog outputs.

What could the problem be? I am unfamiliar with making digital connections. Could I be using the wrong kind of cable? If there is a breakdown somewhere, what would be the most likely problem?

I was always under the impression that digital, by definition, either works or it doesn't. But I have a situation where "half" of it works and the other "half" doesn't.

The problem doesn't really bother me, since I am satisfied with using analog connections. But I am a bit puzzled about why I can't get both channels working when I try to use a digital connection.

Thanks in advance for any assistance......

Reply to
EADGBE

Fault in the preamp, I'd wager. Do you have anything else with a digital output you could try?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

You cannot lose "half " of a serial data stream. The problem must be in the preamp, somewhere between (and including) the D/A converter, and where its output joins the analogue circuitry.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Agreed that you need to try something else as an input. Problem could be at either end in that both channels may not be making it into one data stream at the CD (unlikely) or (more likely) that the Yammy is either failing to decode the missing channel, or failing to switch it. Do you have only a coaxial digital connection ? Is there an optical one that you could try ? Either coaxial or optical, you are correct in your assumption that it should all "just work" as soon as you make that one connection.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

This particular CD only has the coaxial output -- there is no optical output, although there are optical inputs on the preamp.

I have an Audio Alchemy CD player that also has a coaxial output, but that player is not working at the moment.

One other though occurred to me: I should try the CD player into some of the other digital inputs, just to see if maybe the CD input alone is at fault (not likely, I know).

Reply to
EADGBE

The problem is a fault in the sending device, or the receiving device.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

So which is it holmes? The Sending Device of the Receiving Device?

Reply to
Kendra Weissbein

That narrows down the possibilities! At least he knows it's not the cable (obviously)

Reply to
Mike S

Could someone please explain how it could be possible to lose one channel of the digital stream out of the CD player, considering that the CD's audio output is perfectly OK.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Depends on the internal architecture, but I have to agree it is highly unlikely.

Don Pearce

I would say close to Zero. I'll bet nobody here can cite a case where this has actually happened.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

It is very unlikely, I agree, but then in these days of extremely complex internal architecture of most LSIs, there isn't much in the way of 'stock faults' any more, and strange ones happen every few weeks in my experience. That being the case, none of us could cite a case of a peculiar fault, until it actually happened :-)

Unlikely or not, there is the remote possibility that this could be the one for that fault ... I don't know if the PCM data stream coming off the disc is decoded and processed first, or whether it is directly transcoded into SPdif (or indeed, whether SPdif is just PCM under another name - I've never bothered to check because it's very rare to get *any* fault in this area). If there is any decoding going on, then just maybe, a channel *could* be lost. But yes, in practical terms, almost certainly a problem in the amp.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The Lady from Philadelphia sez...

Why are you arguing about such an unlikely event when the OP hasn't tested the unit with another digital source?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Far too sensible an idea. How can we argue the sound of one hand clapping when someone says "try it and listen"?

Don Pearce

Obviously you should have used a Monster STEREO cable instead of the cheap model you bought.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Don't tell the audiophools that ! Their entire religion will be destroyed.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Failure to sync to the second block of audio data ? Bad clocks ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Try using a cheap one.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You mean I2S.

It is. Both are linear PCM. Simply mildly different data stream formatting.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes. In the digital output the left and right channels are combined into one digital stream, then sent over the coax cable to the receiver/preamp where they arer separated into the two analog channels. The problem here is in one of those stages. Either one of the channels is being lost before it is encoded into that digital stream to be sent out of the CD player, or a perfect digital stream is being sent to the preamp and sometime after it is decoded into the two seperate channels, one channel is lost due to a faulty component or a bad solder joint, loose connection, etc.

Reply to
Mike S